Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive never felt like changing a cabin air filter before, but my wife's Honda dealer keeps bugging us to change hers, so I figure Id do both the Pilot and JK at the same time. I get both in the mail today and have at the JK. Open up the glove box and low and behold, theres NO CABIN FILTER in there! WTF, Chrysler???
It was $10 and I threw it in there, but what the crap. Why would there be no filter in there?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Cant answer for Jeep but on some chevy and dodge pickups, you had to pay extra to even have the "slot" for the filter. Our Silverado had it in the LT package, but our parents Ram Laramie only had the provision for it, even though it was a nicer package than our LT. FIL had to cut out the stamped plastic to reveal the slot where the filter would go and then insert the filter.

Just another way to squeeze a few extra bucks out of the buyer.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Ive never felt like changing a cabin air filter before, but my wife's Honda dealer keeps bugging us to change hers, so I figure Id do both the Pilot and JK at the same time. I get both in the mail today and have at the JK. Open up the glove box and low and behold, theres NO CABIN FILTER in there! WTF, Chrysler???
It was $10 and I threw it in there, but what the crap. Why would there be no filter in there?
My understanding is if you get the "upgraded air-con" setup, it is used as a selling point for that. No other packages have them installed... but yea super easy to just drop in.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wat is this "upgraded" aircon? Is it different than just regular ol aircon? Dual zones (is that an option on a sahara)?
Cripes. Just to save, what, pennies per vehicle? How much could FCA buy millions of these filters for each?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
You have to get the upgraded climate control to get the cabin air filter. The option that is the knob with the temp numbers on it. Forget what the option was actually called...

·
Registered
190 Posts
No it wasnt in there. Trust me. I didnt just put a new one on top of the old one
Wasn't in my 2014 either, but went ahead and did it on my own. It's a lot cheaper than having to have the dealer do it, like on my wife's Hyundai. Their cabin air filter can only be done by the dealer. So it could be worse than spending the $10 to do it ourselves.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Those two small filters from Mopar are $63 in Canada. There is a link somewhere here with the AC Delco part number and here it is $20 for four.

·
Registered
860 Posts
When I bought my JKR in 2013, they were only included if you purchased the auto temp climate control option. I think it's just a differentiator to add value to that option. No big deal, you can pick up a set on Amazon for less than $20. I replace mine every year. Just did it a week ago and they were a bit gray after 12 months.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
They only come with an in cabin filter if you get the automatic climate control anything else doesnt come with a filter pre-installed

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree. Pretty crappy to not install cabin air filters when everyone else does. It just shows you how much they love their customers. It's all about the money.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I decided to add a cabin air filter after my first Moab trip - so much dust on the vents, couldn't be good for the system.
Last time i replaced i hit ebay and bought filters from ebay for under $5 shipped from China.
They're not quite as tightly manufacturerd as the Wix filters, and they don't tell you which side is up, but they're a good fit and appear to be the same material.
If you can wait a month to get them, its a really cost effective option.

·
Super Moderator
22,518 Posts
I agree. Pretty crappy to not install cabin air filters when everyone else does. It just shows you how much they love their customers. It's all about the money.
I think that's how it works otherwise we would just go to the dealer and pick up free cars when ever we wanted lol. My sport did not come with filters it did not bother me, my Rubicon did as I got auto climate control it did not bother me to pay for it tho.

·
Registered
531 Posts
my 2015 Altitude has it....but I also have the AUTO HVAC system

·
Registered
676 Posts
Wat is this "upgraded" aircon? Is it different than just regular ol aircon? Dual zones (is that an option on a sahara)?
Cripes. Just to save, what, pennies per vehicle? How much could FCA buy millions of these filters for each?
jpg images

You set the temp and it will try to keep it there, more like a house Thermostat. And yes, it is only available above a certain trim level (probably sahara)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've watched that video before and then I looked behind the glove compartment at my 2010 JK's setup.

I see the plastic grating. When I turn on the recirculate, I see the movement. But on the grating, there is no access door. It's all screwed down.

Is there a way to modify this to put the air filters in place?

·
Registered
527 Posts
But tell us what an air filter does with no doors or top on the jeep? Lol

·
Registered
23 Posts

My thoughts EXACTLY! I thought I'd be REPLACING my cabin air filter, not INSTALLING it. Ugh!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Mine came with the filter in place and I sure don't have climate control, I tried in vain to get them to delete the air altogether.
Sounds like they use a hit or miss method choosing which get it.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts