Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I was to run the xj shaft how much would my mpgs drop? Is the swap worth it?

Is the posi lock worth the swap?

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
If you install an XJ front axle shaft in your YJ, I dont think that you will see a significant drop in MPG's. But i'm pretty sure you will feel a new vibration. Specially at higher speeds, since the front driveshaft on YJ's aren't balanced from the factory.

I installed a posi-lok on my front axle, and i love it. it lets you know that your front end is definately locked in. The kit for one is kinda pricey anymore, usually around 200. So a lot of YJers are making their own, from a hand throttle cable or similar. But the posi-lok wont let you down and its there when you need it, unlike the vacuum lines that are forever giving problems.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you show me how you ran the cable?(from the handle in the cab to the axle)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I did the one piece axle shaft swap. I did it for the bigger u joints and to not have to worry about pulling a cable or the two piece shaft and collar. I did have to replace oil seals but I figured it was time. I've never had any vibrations from my front drive shaft, never had it balanced either.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did it effect your mpgs?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm choices...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anybody else?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
..?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I did the cable and it has worked great for me. The reason I chose this instead of solid axle is because some of the trails I take are in the mountains and I wear my brakes pretty good coming down. With the cable I am able to leave the front axle disengaged and use 4 low. This allows for better steering. The one thing I don't like about my install is I'm 6'2" and the handle under the dash hits my knee. I have seen people drill there dash and put them higher, which I may do. Also, I remember years ago, there was a kit with an electric solenoid valve that would engage the fork. I haven't seen it advertised so I'm not sure if there were problems with that set up. Maybe someone else has experience with it and could chime in. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
879 Posts
if you want to test results before spending $$ on either, just take off the CAD cover and move the fork over to the locked position

you can now see if you get vibes from the driveshaft or loss of mpg

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I got a new (to me) dana30 out of 2.5L the other day. I've been pondering this same thing before I put it under the jeep. I'm leaning towards the 1 piece shaft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts