Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Looking into the Weapons R Secret Weapon CAI. Any advice.

CAIs for the TJ are a waste of good money. They just don't work as well on a TJ as they would on a tuner car or muscle car. There are so many other Jeep parts that you can purchase that will bring more satisfaction.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip.... yeah they made a world pf difference on my husbands stang... so I'm guessing no point in getting the tuner either

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
X2, the TJ's factory OE air intake is completely free breathing so save your $$$ on that CAI. Same on the tuner, savey our $$$... TJs just don't benefit from things like that like something like a Mustang HP 5.0L can.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Getting harder to find the Stock box, used to be all over Craigslist. So if you do switch over put the original on a shelf in the garage.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I ran a CAI on my 4cyl for all of one trip. I had to stop mid day and clean the mud out of the filter as I had a noticable lose in power. Any open air filter will get cover in crap on the trail due to the extremly open engine bay in a Jeep. There is even a thread on here where guy showed how little the CAI helped on a dyno.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys i appreciate the advice... so suggested first mods anybody. All I've done is put in a K&N air filter.... mom with 2 kids so starting out with some cheaper mods would help... :)

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Thanks guys i appreciate the advice... so suggested first mods anybody. All I've done is put in a K&N air filter.... mom with 2 kids so starting out with some cheaper mods would help... :)
My first suggestion is to take the K&N filter out and put a stock paper filter back in

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
My first suggestion is to take the K&N filter out and put a stock paper filter back in
X2, a K&N is the very last air filter I would want in a Jeep that ever sees even remotely dusty/dirty conditions. ISO 5001 lab filter tests confirm it is is a very poor filtering air filter at best.

I'd replace that K&N with an AC-Delco, Wix, or Purolator air filter which all have more than enough surface area to present absolutely no restriction to air flow. Generally speaking, the AC-Delco has usually been #1 in tests I have read of air filters.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
X2, a K&N is the very last air filter I would want in a Jeep that ever sees even remotely dusty/dirty conditions. ISO 5001 lab filter tests confirm it is is a very poor filtering air filter at best.

I'd replace that K&N with an AC-Delco, Wix, or Purolator air filter which all have more than enough surface area to present absolutely no restriction to air flow. Generally speaking, the AC-Delco has usually been #1 in tests I have read of air filters.
Have you read about the Amsoil EA filters? I run one and my most recent oil analysis test showed around 1/3 less silica and other contaminants than my Airaid oiled filter.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So lifetime filters no good then? Still debating on cat less any suggestions on exhaust. Both Gibson and Banks sounded pretty good Pypes sound great on our stang not sure still trying to research i grew up with trucks sp finally broke down and got a Jeep been wanting one forever

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
NO, FORGET those so-called "lifetime" air filters... they are as good at keeping damaging fine dust, silica, dirt, etc. out of an engine as a screen door is at keeping the dust out of a house during a Texas dust storm.

Paper element air filters are not expensive, stop worrying about their insignificant cost.

Gibson & Banks may sound good but honestly, they sound no better than what a good local small independent muffler shop can install for much less $$$. And if you don't quite like the sound, they can swap mufflers until you find one that produces the sound you want. For things like mufflers you can buy locally to support your local friends & neighbors, mail order is not the way to go... despite their cool ads.

Any good local independent (not Midas, Meineke, etc.) can produce exactly what you want for far less $$$, complete with the cool stainless steel tip that makes the Banks & Borla systems look cool enough to buy for some.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will have to look into some locals I grew up in Austin and have only lived in Las Cruces for the last 3 years so finding a trustworthy shop will be the difficult part. Especially going in as a female...

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's true, you're better off running the stock paper filter than a K&N, at least on a Jeep. With my CJ5, I used to run a mobile pit for desert racing out in Nevada, and I used a K&N along with a K&N prefilter. I had to clean the filters out before every race, and again after every race. We used them on the race cars too, but again, they'd get cleaned after every race. The filters would literally be caked with mud, with not a trace of water for miles. Those silt beds could get interesting...

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
those so-called "lifetime" air filters... they are as good at keeping damaging fine dust, silica, dirt, etc. out of an engine as a screen door is at keeping the dust out of a house during a Texas dust storm.

I think this applies more to the oiled cotton gauze filters than the synthetic media dry filters.

·
Registered
343 Posts
dont do the CAI. waste of money. get different gears. There is a thread on here that has dyno sheets comparing a tj with and without an intake.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts