Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my stock 16" steel wheels to a set of 17" alloy rims and tires. They were stock too. Came off a 2010 unlimited.

Noticed yesterday I now have a 5 mph discrepancy on my speedometer.

Where do I take it to get re-calibrated and what should I expect to pay for it? Is it something the dealer does?

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: Well, if you stayed at 32" tires, then the dealer will "flash" your comp.-if

You went bigger(33"/34"/35"), you'll have to get a programmer-AEV Module-Flashpac-Diablo-Superchip !!

I got the AEV Procal Module--$139 bucks--does everyrthing except mod your gas mileage -

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i put on Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires which i think are a stock option. 255/75/R17. According to TireRack.com (where i bought them), the overall diameter is 32.1".

another question (to hijack my own thread) should there be any rubbing after changing tire sizes like this? When exiting the highway, I was making a tight turn on a cloverleaf exit. I was on the brakes pretty good. I then heard and felt a dragging/scraping sound. I thought I had lost my brakes but I didn't. Came to a stop at the bottom of the ramp and when I started moving again, it was gone.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Those tires are probably 31¼" installed and dealer can fix you speedo, which sounds like it was off to begin with-

i put on Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires which i think are a stock option. 255/75/R17. According to TireRack.com (where i bought them), the overall diameter is 32.1".

another question (to hijack my own thread) should there be any rubbing after changing tire sizes like this? When exiting the highway, I was making a tight turn on a cloverleaf exit. I was on the brakes pretty good. I then heard and felt a dragging/scraping sound. I thought I had lost my brakes but I didn't. Came to a stop at the bottom of the ramp and when I started moving again, it was gone.
Even thought they're close to stock issue, when you make a sharp turn-AT SPEED, the tires on the outside front corner CAN rub the swaybar-(rare), but does happen, believe it ar not out of the thousands of jeeps produced--EACH ONE is different !

If you know the dealer manager, you might get it done free, or $20/40 bucks

Good luck

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Jimbo. I appreciate your insight. You know how it is with a new vehicle. every little sound and squeak puckers your seat. Even more for those of us who have never owned a Jeep before. I know this thing isn't made for comfort on the highway. It was still a pretty smooth ride though. Much better than I expected. And if a little rub on the sway bar isn't abnormal or unheard of, I can handle it.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D You're welcome greese, The JKU is really comfy on the highway Vs JK-especially if it's your DD

thanks Jimbo. I appreciate your insight. You know how it is with a new vehicle. every little sound and squeak puckers your seat. Even more for those of us who have never owned a Jeep before. I know this thing isn't made for comfort on the highway. It was still a pretty smooth ride though. Much better than I expected. And if a little rub on the sway bar isn't abnormal or unheard of, I can handle it.
Mine isn't a DD, but I had an '06 Xterra OR, now that was a real pleasure to drive anywhere and the JKU comes, well somewhat close !!

Enjoy-

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
You've done exactly what I did. I changed out the stock 16" tires and wheels for 17" stock wrangler SR-A tires and alloy wheels. My speedometer is off by 6 mph so I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow morning to have them flash the computer or what ever needs to be done so that its accurate. I'll update here or my other thread on this same thing after its done to let everyone know if there was any cost and if the speedo is accurate now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good stuff ESP123. I couldn't find the SR-A tires in stock anywhere and went with the Duelers. I am probably really off by 6. Thankfully I had my GPS running. As I got on the highway I was thinking I was struggling awfully hard to go 75 and was blowing past everyone. GPS was flashing red at me and that I was going over 80. oops.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
haha yeah I just took a trip up north and noticed that when going max 70 mph, I was blowing past almost everyone. I kept thinking "what is going on with all these slow people?" Good thing I didn't pass a cop, like a need a ticket now...

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Just got back from the dealer after getting them to re calibrate my Jeep from it's original 225/75/16 tires to the 255/75/17 set I have on there now. At first the service guy told me that they couldn't do anything but I told him I knew that they could and that they should fix it. I talked to the service department head and showed him using a tire and wheel calibrator online (shows if your speedo is off) how much mine was off. At this point the first service guy disappears and I'm left with the other. He sees that my speedometer is off and ask "can't you just drive slower to compensate?" I said no, calibrate my computer for the larger tires you put on there or give me my Jeep back so that I can do it myself somewhere else. He then walks into the area where all the Jeeps are being worked on and comes back saying that the guy was just finishing doing what I've been asking for and he's been telling me can't be done this whole time. The guy who re calibrated my Jeep was clueless of the conversation we were having and just walks in saying "your Jeeps all done!"

I talked to him for a few minutes to make sure he did what I brought my Jeep in for and he said "yes, it was easy..no problem". I have no idea why there was a disconnect between what seemed like everyone in that department on how and if this could be done for me Jeep. I won't be taking my Jeep there for anything in the future. The good news is that my Jeep is now calibrated for my larger tires and my speedometer is 100% correct. :)

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Bingo--the trials and tribulations-

Just got back from the dealer after getting them to re calibrate my Jeep from it's original 225/75/16 tires to the 255/75/17 set I have on there now. At first the service guy told me that they couldn't do anything but I told him I knew that they could and that they should fix it. I talked to the service department head and showed him using a tire and wheel calibrator online (shows if your speedo is off) how much mine was off. At this point the first service guy disappears and I'm left with the other. He sees that my speedometer is off and ask "can't you just drive slower to compensate?" I said no, calibrate my computer for the larger tires you put on there or give me my Jeep back so that I can do it myself somewhere else. He then walks into the area where all the Jeeps are being worked on and comes back saying that the guy was just finishing doing what I've been asking for and he's been telling me can't be done this whole time. The guy who re calibrated my Jeep was clueless of the conversation we were having and just walks in saying "your Jeeps all done!"

I talked to him for a few minutes to make sure he did what I brought my Jeep in for and he said "yes, it was easy..no problem". I have no idea why there was a disconnect between what seemed like everyone in that department on how and if this could be done for me Jeep. I won't be taking my Jeep there for anything in the future. The good news is that my Jeep is now calibrated for my larger tires and my speedometer is 100% correct. :)
Congrats-

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
"can't you just drive slower to compensate?"
Classic.

Even though larger tires cause your odometer to be off, putting you in violation of federal law if you don't check the box on your title (at sale time) that states that the odo was off....
And in violation of federal law for your speedo showing less than you're actually going.

Clueless service people give the industry a bad name. Glad you got it fixed.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
yes and I really wanted to get it fixed not only because it was reading in correctly but because of that too. I couldn't get an accurate MPG average either because it was telling me I wasn't getting as many miles to the gallon as I knew I was. I'm really glad its fixed and I just got home from the drive out there and around town this afternoon to see that my MPG was at 20.1 MPG now. :) This means I'm probably getting realistically around 18.5-19 mpg.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got back from the dealer to get a reflash.

the guy working the desk looked at me a little crooked when i told him what I needed. He went into the garage bay and came back ten minutes later and said it was no problem.

30 minutes and $50 later I got my jeep back. Speedo is perfect now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts