Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 TJ Sport with 115,000 miles, were moving to California in a few months. Does anyone know anything about their emissions and if my jeep can be switched over to california standards without to much hassle and money? Or is it not even worth the trouble?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I don't think you have to worry about it. You did not buy it in CA., therefore I don't think they can make you change over to their specs. They can only regulate the vehicles that are purchased in the state, new. As long as your vehicle is performing to its designed parameters, that is all they can require of you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
bluvikng said:
I don't think you have to worry about it. You did not buy it in CA., therefore I don't think they can make you change over to their specs. They can only regulate the vehicles that are purchased in the state, new. As long as your vehicle is performing to its designed parameters, that is all they can require of you.
Sadly, this statement is not true. While it is no longer as expensive as it used to be to register an out of state car in CA - the car still has to meet california standards.
The good news is that pretty much all cars (and jeeps) sold in the US are made to conform to CA smog standards. If you look through your warranty book, you will see a reference to CA smog standards somewhere.

Look here for full info:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
RWsJeep said:
Sadly, this statement is not true. While it is no longer as expensive as it used to be to register an out of state car in CA - the car still has to meet california standards.
The good news is that pretty much all cars (and jeeps) sold in the US are made to conform to CA smog standards. If you look through your warranty book, you will see a reference to CA smog standards somewhere.

Look here for full info:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov
You can also look under your hood and there should be an emission sticker that how the vehicle is configured.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts