Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the parts store to get new calipers and I wasn't aware there are two types of piston material and the only way to find out is to take them apart witch I cannot right now. Anybody know what the material is for a 98' SE?

·
Registered
242 Posts
The standard ones are ceramic, but as far as I am aware you can get them with steel pistons.

I think you can use either, but I'm sure someone will correct me. I have steel pistons on my '99 Sport.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think what you call phenolic is what we call ceramic in the UK.

The calipers and pistons that are currently on mine came off of a 2.5L XJ Cherokee. At first I thought they may be specific to the XJ, but apparently the pistons are from an after market refurb kit.

They work just fine and don't seem to stick as much as the ceramic ones used to.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think what you call phenolic is what we call ceramic in the UK.

The calipers and pistons that are currently on mine came off of a 2.5L XJ Cherokee. At first I thought they may be specific to the XJ, but apparently the pistons are from an after market refurb kit.

They work just fine and don't seem to stick as much as the ceramic ones used to.
So steel it is thanks for the help! Going to be a fun week end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts