Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing my brakes this weekend and my pass rear caliper was giving me a hard time. The driver side was normal, but the pass side was not.

After taking the old pads out, I could not use my C-Clamp to push with piston in all the way. It would not go in any further at all no matter how much pressure I put on it.

I ended up just replacing the caliper cause I got pissed.

Any ideas why this happened at 34,000 miles....?

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
did you take it apart and see if there was a problem with the piston or seal it self?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did take the piston out and it seemed just fine and the seal was not ripped or bad. Thats why i dont get it....

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Many calipers even when they should, do not go all the way in when needed to replace pads. I encountered this problem on another make of vehicle and ended up finding out for some reason the pressure was too great and it when all the way in only after opening that bleeder nipple.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the same thing and i had the bleed valve open also, but still would not go in enough to get the new pads over the rotor....

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Occasionally certain pads also have more friction material then oem also. Either way, good thing you were able to correct the delema.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im still so confused because the driver side rear was easy to put on, but the pass piston would not go in far enough to put the new pads on over the rotor...

Makes no sense to me

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, makes no sense, especially since you had the bleeder open to ensure there was no pressure on the piston.

We're the old pads worn evenly on both the psgr & driver side? If so, & it appeared the caliper was working correctly, you could have sanded the new pads down just a little to get them to fit over the rotor. Of course, you're taking life out of the pad, but I'm talking about if you only had to shave off a minimal amount of material. I've done that before & it worked out fine, but you have to ensure that you sand the surface evenly.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Did you have the brake fluid reservoir cap open?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the brake resv cap off, the bleeder valve open. But remember the driver side rear was no prob with pushing the piston in, it was the pass rear that would not go in far enough to put over the new rotor.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
If the there was a manufacturer defect in the caliper/piston assembly, it may have had an imperfection in the casting that bound the piston. It would require a straight edge and possibly a hone or bore to correct.

Bob K.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts