Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, i smelled asbestos cruising down the road, pulled over, and realized my right caliper was gripping (i had felt a slight pull, and wondered). I assumed it was the soft brake line lining collapsing, and "pinching" the caliper shut, which has happened on another vehicle. I replaced both soft brake lines, and the master cylinder, and today i noticed a slight pull to the LEFT, and felt my left from wheel...it was hot to the touch, from the brakes gripping. WTH?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A while back, i smelled asbestos cruising down the road, pulled over, and realized my right caliper was gripping (i had felt a slight pull, and wondered). I assumed it was the soft brake line lining collapsing, and "pinching" the caliper shut, which has happened on another vehicle. I replaced both soft brake lines, and the master cylinder, and today i noticed a slight pull to the LEFT, and felt my left from wheel...it was hot to the touch, from the brakes gripping. WTH?
i meant...left from wheel

·
Super Moderator
7,732 Posts
There could be a bit of crap from the hose breaking down internally found its way into the caliper causing it to stick.

·
Super Moderator
10,892 Posts
A few things come to mind.
1- caliper bolts are worn or frozen
2- Pucks are worn or frozen
3- springs and/or bushings worn or broken

If your budget is tight, I suggest you disassemble one side or the other and discover what might be wrong.
For me, I'd simply buy two re-man calipers for $32.00 each and install them. I'd probably also buy whatever hardware holds them in place, just to save a second trip to the store.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Just replace the calipers... this is a common issue... I think I payed $19 each for the last set I bought

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, you all have a point. whether crud,, wear, etc., i'll never relax about this unless I start fresh. New (reman) calipers, pads, and move on. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

I just replaced both L & R calipers for the same reason. Napa has them (with metal piston) for $37.49 that come with support hardware, then you get a core replacement for $37.03 each when you bring the old ones back. It's a no brainer for an investment of 92c.

"CAL SE4891S" & "CAL SE4890S"

Get good pads and rotors too while you're at it and you'll be set for a long time.

·
Super Moderator
10,892 Posts
Get good pads and rotors too while you're at it and you'll be set for a long time.
I'd do the same thing. I didn't mention the pads & rotors because we were talking about the calipers.
But yes, spend the money, do a complete job once, and then you don't have to worry about it for a long time. OP already replaced the brake hoses, so if he does the calipers, pads and rotors all at the same time he can go on to concentrate on the next thing that breaks. It's an old Jeep. Something else is bound to let go soon.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
amen to that... i need to get this right before the next thing starts breaking. And I'll check out napa for sure! Still mid-nineties in south Georgia...hoping to wait for the weather to break.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I just replaced both L & R calipers for the same reason. Napa has them (with metal piston) for $37.49 that come with support hardware, then you get a core replacement for $37.03 each when you bring the old ones back. It's a no brainer for an investment of 92c.

"CAL SE4891S" & "CAL SE4890S"

I just looked up those part numbers from Napa and it says they are phenolic pistons.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SEBSE4891

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I just looked up those part numbers from Napa and it says they are phenolic pistons.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SEBSE4891
Double check the part # again, you don't have an "S" in the part number in your link, the designation for steel. Also the price is different than the ones I mentioned, that steel piston adds a lot to the total price lol (but it's totally worth it IMO).

Caliper.png

Caliper 2.png

·
Super Moderator
10,892 Posts
There was some discussion here recently about steel caliper pistons vs. phenolic caliper pistons.
One poster made the point that phenolic pistons are lighter and won't rust.
Just how strong do they need to be? Does anyone know of any first hand instances of the phenolic pistons failing?
Google the word "phenolic" for some good information. You can make up your own mind.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
There was some discussion here recently about steel caliper pistons vs. phenolic caliper pistons.
One poster made the point that phenolic pistons are lighter and won't rust.
Just how strong do they need to be? Does anyone know of any first hand instances of the phenolic pistons failing?
Google the word "phenolic" for some good information. You can make up your own mind.

Good Luck, L.M.
If it's lightweight and wont rust it doesn't fit the Jeep design-concept lol.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
My 10,000 lb diesel dually has phenolic pistons in the front calipers and I often tow w gross weight of OVER 30,000 lbs..... yeah those'll never hold up on a jeep

Fwiw, I got 100,000 miles and counting out of the last set I installed

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Mine (steel) finally seized after 120,000+ miles / 15 years. But like LuckyMac said, the Internet will forever have an on-going opinion about either option. Maybe you could get the left caliper in steel and the right caliper in phenolic lol. Then 15 years from now you can get back to us lol. Either option will work great for you though I'm sure of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
defcon, that's pretty funny! I think I'll buy whatever napa has in stock, grease them properly, and not be surprised either way if i'm doing it again in 8 to 10 years. Assuming that my jeep still possesses enough metal to even require brakes then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts