Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I've got a 02 tj and my speakers all suck/blown. I've done some googling and reading as how to upgrade and replace what I have, but it all confused me more than anything.

I know I want to get the infinity kappa 5.25 up in the dash using the adapter plates. And I want to get kappa 6.5 in the sound bar. But when it came to looking up actual speakers on ebay or amazon I was confused as to what the descriptions meant by "two way" speakers.

The link below are what I want in the dash

Infinity KAPPA52 9i 5 1 4" 2 Way Speakers 5 25" 330W 50667110024 | eBay

The next link is what I'm wanting for the sound bar.

Infinity Kappa 62 11i 2 Way 6 5" Two Way Car Speakers System Brand New | eBay

I'm aware I'll have to drill new mounting holes for the sound bar since I'm using a bigger speaker and I am alright with that.

Also I know this may sound ignorant but I've never purchased speakers or car Audio equipment so when I purchase speakers do they come as a set/pair or are they sold individually?

If these speakers I have provided links for work then awesome! If not then could somebody explain why they won't so I have a better understanding. And perhaps give me a a push in the right direction.

Thanks guys! You always are a great help!
-iman

·
Registered
499 Posts
2 way just means that each speaker contains 2 drivers, a tweeter for the highs and a woofer for lows. MOST car speakers are sold by the pair. Any particular reason you chose the Kappas? Not that they are a bad choice but may not be the best depending on your situation. Do you have the stock head unit? Do you plan on adding an amp?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Il be upgrading the head unit for sure!!! Not sure on which one I'll get yet though. I chose the kappas simply bc I've got a friend with them in his, and like the sound and they seem to have pretty good reviews overall online.

I really had no pans on an amp as of now

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you heard them and like them that's all that matters. Personally I'm a little leery of using a 2ohm speaker on a 4 ohm head unit but Infinity claims to have done the research and say it's ok. You might want to check out Crutchfield if you plan to order those speakers, they are having a buy 1 get one 1/2 off on infinity right now. It will probably end up costing about the same but I would do it just for the support plus you get the newer 52.11 instead of the 52.9. For some reason it isn't showing up online when I add items to the cart so you might be better off calling them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Perhaps a moderator would change "Audi" to "audio" for ya. I wasn't even going to look, but curiosity got the better of me. Honestly thought this was about German cars. Lol. Sorry, can't offer any technical advice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the sale!

@canesfan that was my plan all along! False advertising works great!!! Just kidding... That's what I get for posting from my phone, my bad...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
Let me throw a big caution on those particular speakers . Due to their very high RMS wattage rating, I strongly suspect they will require far more power to drive adequately without also adding an external amplifier. I'm on my cellphone so I can't research them yet but I will tonight. Do you plan to also buy an amplifier or do you plan to just replace your existing speakers with them?

Edit: Initial cursory research says those speakers require more power (wattage) than the factory head unit can provide. They will require an auxiliary external amplifier with more power to adequately drive them.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you go to crutchfield.com they are a huge help. Reviews on most products. They'll tell you what is compatible with your vehicle. Plus they send you all the wiring harnesses for free.

I just replaced my factory speakers with MTX speakers front and sound bar and it made a huge difference. Took about 30 minutes install

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@jerry I didn't plan on buying another amp for them, but if I could pick one up for not to much money then I could if it would make the whole system work properly...

Like I said, I'm just a bit clueless on most of this....

I plan on replacing my speakers, along with the head unit for sure but if I need an amp then I'm not really opposed to that, I'll just have to have some help picking one out and doing a lot more research.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
There are some very good replacement speakers available that don't also require an external amplifier. Polk's DB series of speakers is one well thought of brand but there are others. Look for speakers with no less than a 90 or 91 dB at 1 watt Sensitivity rating which indicates they should work well just with the stock head unit to power them. Any good speaker will have a specifation sheet that will show its Sensitivity rating.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Let me throw a big caution on those particular speakers . Due to their very high RMS wattage rating, I strongly suspect they will require far more power to drive adequately without also adding an external amplifier. I'm on my cellphone so I can't research them yet but I will tonight. Do you plan to also buy an amplifier or do you plan to just replace your existing speakers with them?

Edit: Initial cursory research says those speakers require more power (wattage) than the factory head unit can provide. They will require an auxiliary external amplifier with more power to adequately drive them.
This was my thought as well then he said he listened to his friends and liked them, didn't think to check if his friends were amped. They will in fact require more power, Infinity is being kind of misleading rating them at 95db but at 2.83v. I would check with your friend, if he is running them without an amp and they sound good to you then that is really all that matters, but there are certainly better choices as Jerry said.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He does have an amp and subs in his. I'm not looking at getting subs for mine, I don't have the desire to give up my rear seat or any storage that I do have... I'll have to give crutchfield a call when I he back in port next week (coast guard) and get some more detailed info and recommendations from them...

I have to top down and doors off mostly all summer so I'll defiantly need something that will be loud enough to hear going down the road with all the wind noise.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
This was my thought as well then he said he listened to his friends and liked them, didn't think to check if his friends were amped. They will in fact require more power, Infinity is being kind of misleading rating them at 95db but at 2.83v. I would check with your friend, if he is running them without an amp and they sound good to you then that is really all that matters, but there are certainly better choices as Jerry said.
At the proper industry recognized 1 watt level their real Sensitivity rating is something like 88 dB. You are correct their advertised 95 dB Sensitivity rating at 2.83 volts is totally misleading and confusing at best.

·
Registered
499 Posts
At the proper industry recognized 1 watt level their real Sensitivity rating is something like 88 dB. You are correct their advertised 95 dB Sensitivity rating at 2.83 volts is totally misleading and confusing at best.
Fun fact 2.83v is 1 watt at 8 ohms. Not much help for a 2 ohm speaker...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts