Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an avid fly fishing fan and on my list of things I hate to do is rig my rod in the parking lot or stream side. After all the thinking and planning I just want to be lost on the water going after that next bite.

With all that in mind I have been debating whether to go with a Denver outfitters rod vault or the big sky rod box in the short 5.5 ft version. It would eliminate the fear of busting a rod while we change locations or trying to fit my current full size rod carrier in the Jeep.

I like how the rod vault is easily accessible from the rear of the vehicle vs the side access of the box. That would necessitate standing on the rock rail or in the door sill to access the box.

Both units lock. Though let's be honest someone could have whatever is in there if they really want it. The aluminum tubes of the vault are light weight and lined with polypropylene for some added scuff resistance to the rods. The box has a replaceable foam insert that cushions the rods much better.

The box 5.5 ft long is smaller so the footprint on the Jeep is smaller vs the 10+ft vault. I don't mind breaking the rod in half as long as that's the only thing I need to do once I access the rod. The box holds 4 rods vs the vault only holding 3.

Here's some pics for comparison.

None of the sites have a product installed on a wrangler so if y'all have one installed on y'all's rigs I would appreciate a look at it. Thanks for y'all's help.

~Nate

Current build: 2016 JKUR Hardrock #HardrockREVjku
Past builds: '79 & '81 CJ7, 93 ZJ, 04 TJ Rubi

·
Registered
581 Posts
I see lots of Denver Outfitter vaults around here but I have not seen one on a Wrangler.

And to be honest I don't get it. Unless you're a guide and need quick access to multiple, ready to go, rods for clients they seem cumbersome, unsightly and pointless.
Of course, just my opinion.

And...FWIW...my 8 foot rod fits in my JKU fully assembled.
I just put one side of the rear seat down and put the reel in the rear cargo area with the tip of the rod up near the corner of the windshield.
Though, I rarely do that because I like to string up at the water.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I had something similar to the Denver outfitters one. I used to put it on my Ford Explorer, but that had roof racks. Wranglers don't, unless you add them. I think you are better off just assembling them when you park. But I've only been fly fishing for 23 years, so what do I know....

·
Registered
844 Posts
When I had my CJ7 I put a rod case on the ski racks and bunged down but never liked advertising, got caught once on a tree branch and retrace to find. It worked OK, since then I just break down a 4 pc Orvis as fly fishing is all about taking ones time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Breaking down a fully rigged rod into two pieces is a pain. The longer tube appears to serve its purpose better.

But you would have to do a lot of fishing to justify sticking one of them on the top of your car. Have you tried hanging them inside the car using some thin rope or bungee?

With all that said, I had three fly rods hanging out of my rear window this weekend. I was on a gravel road and someone was approaching me, so naturally I rolled up the windows...... until I heard some bad noises. They appear to have survived the temporary crushing, but only time will tell. I built two of the rods myself, so its not just a matter of warranty repair. :atomic:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I built one out of a Reese TransRack Conduit Carrier Kit ($49) and a section of 6" PVC pipe.
All-in spent under $100.

Right now, it only carries my 2 baitcasters, and 1 spinning set up.
The fly rod stays behind the back seat broken into two pieces.

I fish every chance I get, so having multiple set-ups is very nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
Why, oh WHY would you have your fly rods sticking out of your window? That a rookie mistake. And if you build your own rods, you ain't a rookie.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Breaking down a fully rigged rod into two pieces is a pain.
Sorry, totally confused by this.

I leave the flies, indicator, split-shot, etc. attached, then break the rod and fold the tip back toward the handle. If I'm not carrying a lot of junk or traveling down a rough road, I just put the rod in the Jeep. If I want a little more security, I put the rod into a case up to the reel. Maybe 30 seconds to break down and reassemble.

I've been handling fly rods this way since my teens and never had an issue, including when taking the family and dogs along.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I knew there were going to be a bunch of replies to this that complained about why this and why that. I get all of your points here. I've used all the solutions you speak of and have a rod case that I can break a rod in two and leave the reel in place. It's cumbersome in the cab.

I don't like rigging it all at the water (I'm talking about line and leader not fly selection) so that's why I'm looking for an alternative. To each their own here. I usually have a good amount of gear and people in the vehicle so an inside solution is just asking for trouble whether it's fully intact or broken in two still rigged.

Honestly if there was an interior roof solution for keeping the rods in 2 pieces that would be my preference. More secure in the end.

I've been doing this 27 yrs as well. No need for a pissing match. I'm just curious if anyone has seen one installed or has one installed. Thanks for your 0.02 and ideas for the DIY.

Current build: 2016 JKUR Hardrock #HardrockREVjku
Past builds: '79 & '81 CJ7, 93 ZJ, 04 TJ Rubi

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I want the Denver Outfitters Rod Vault. When I'm near the river I want my rods rigged all the time. I have a JK and its short. I don't want my very expensive rods broken down, riding on top of a lot of other gear in the Jeep. I've found that I frequently shift spots on the river chasing the hatch, or finding better looking water, or less fishing pressure. I would like to be able to put the whole rigged rod in the vault, jump in the Jeep, and go. The biggest problem is a roof rack. The JK doesn't have the length to adequately support a Rod Vault with the cheaper (Yakima, Thule) roof top carriers.

I'm leaning toward a Gobi, but if you combine that with the cost of the Rod Vault, that's a lot of bucks to fish in a Jeep! Sometimes, I swear, a pickup truck looks better and better. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've told Denver Outfitters that they should put one on a Jeep, and stop showing the silly Tacos, but they havent listened yet.

It's tons of bucks to fish regardless. Even the route I took (which is likely the absolute cheapest) cost about $500. Granted, I bought the roof rack to carry my kayak, but it's still super pricey for fishing.

·
Registered
946 Posts
not a fisher of flys, but have you seen surf fishing rigs? my 10', 12' & 14' rods travel to the beach on the front bumper. seems like it would be easy to rig something for security, maybe something from the bicycle world...
The idea of a $800 fly rod and $600 fly reel on my bumper isn't appealing to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My apologies, I missed that the title of the thread was "Calling all fly fishers ... with a Denver outfitters rod vault or the big sky rod box in the short 5.5 ft version."

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
First, as an avid fly fisher, I never show up to a stream w a fly pre-selected and tied on.

I always want to see what's happening on the water. I do understand having it lined. Especially if I'm fishing w another person.

I have found my rod partially broke down works great under the rear seat. Can fit a few.

Throw up some pics of rods you've made if you could, I've built a couple.

Grayling area next week! Hopefully we still have some hex going.

Reactions: u_konreaper

·
Registered
34 Posts
You poor hatch-limited guys. You can throw a bath toy with a treble on it and bass will eat it.
Makes me feel like a much more accomplished fly fisher haha!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just found this thread. Great conversation.
I found out today that I'll be getting one of the Denver Outfitters Vaults from a customer of mine (when the pre-sale orders are fulfilled hopefully in January).
I've looked into this one as well as the Big Sky rod box (which a friend has) and while I don't like the length of the Denver model (most rods I fish with are under 8') I think I might try to modify it to be more like 8.5' when I get it.
My buddy that has the Big Sky box likes it but would rather have the option to keep his rods full length.
At this point I have a system of bungees inside that'll hold rods up to 7.5' but when going on trails and fire roads they swing around quite a bit and I'm not so comfortable with that.

Like others have mentioned I'm in need of something to attach it to so after all the head-spinning options I'm leaning toward the Garvin Adventure rack to pair with it.

Since it's been awhile, anyone have further insights into these rack systems and what rack works well to mount it on?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts