Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I purchased a pair of pilot led tail lights. I'm am getting the same issue as this reviewer of the same tail lights:
Have to give it one star because 0 is not an option. This is marketed as a "plug and play" piece of equipment. This is not the case. As with many LED products resistors are necessary for the vehicle to accept the lighting and prevent issues such as the fast flash when activating your turn signals. This product has resistors installed on it from the manufacturer, so this should eliminate this issue. However, when installed the fast flash is there. It does stop after about 5 seconds but returns each time you have to use your signals. it also reactivates the vehicle display showing right/left turn signal burned out. After some research I found the fix for this is to install a second resistor, which is just plain stupid. Apparently the manufacturer is aware this but is not fixing the problem during production. So these are getting returned ASAP! Definitely NOT plug and play!
Comment Was this review helpful to you?

I have read that a resistor should be parallel to the ground wire and +(brake/turn) wire. Pilot does not seem to wire these that way.

My question is how should I rewire the included resistor so these will work 100%. Or Should I just replace the resistor with a 50w 6ohm and wire it the same way?

Here's a picture of the wiring of the lights...

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
LED's need a resistor in series or some kind of current limiting device to limit the current flow through the LED. A resistor is also need in parallel to to add a load so the monitoring circuit does not think that the lamp is out. I would keep the existing resistor and add the load resistor.

·
Registered
537 Posts
led's need a resistor in series or some kind of current limiting device to limit the current flow through the led. A resistor is also need in parallel to to add a load so the monitoring circuit does not think that the lamp is out. I would keep the existing resistor and add the load resistor.
+1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts