Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 4.0 auto trans. Just bought it, and it shifts ok but when it is cold it kinda hangs in gears for a couple min till its warmed up. My question to you guys is do you perform trans services or just leave it be in fear of making matters worse? I have always been a firm believer of leaving the trans fluid alone because if the disks are worn and you flush all the debri out of it thats keeping those disks grabbing the new fluid will actually cause the trans to slip worse. Any on had any experance with this? Works well, or leave her be and shop around for a used trans or go extream and rebuild myself?

·
Commercial Member
3,962 Posts
I would definitely drain and change the filter and flush the torque converter, and may want to look into adjusting the bands also. But you could add a little Lucas stuff and see if it makes a difference

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
+2 on all he said

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So no one has had any bad experiences with this? Dose anyone know what I mean by saying flushing could be bad by flushing out debris that is helping clutch disks keep their friction? Also what do you mean by adjusting the bands? More info and how this is done would be helpfull.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Flushing a trans can have adverse effects because it can dislodge material which can chew us clutch plates but burnt oil can be bad for trans as well. I would not say that using old oil will help the clutches hold better. Remember these clutches are literally paper so any metallic particals can really chew up a clutch plate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts