Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i bought my 07 4 door in march of 2011, and part of the deal at the dealership was a soft top. So they ordered it, and I put it together. Now, I want to order the sun bonnet with the header...Does this product attach to the rails? I have a feeling that if I order a 07-09 model, that it will not work. and, in the pictures, it looks like it goes out to the rails and attaches somehow. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks and go huskers.

·
The Bad Guy
23,247 Posts
Rails? What are you calling rails? Do you mean the door surrounds?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes the surrounds...I know there are two versions of soft tops, one is the cable system which is the newer version, and I believe that is what I have. There arent two versions of the mopar surrounds are there?

Also, when you watch some videos about soft top operation, it says to fold the sides under the drip retainer, which I don't have to do.

All in all, I want to know if the sun bonnet attaches to the door surrounds, because it looks like it does in the pictures they have.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the bestop bikini, obviously the non soft top version, and I am not a fan, plus i broke a buckle. just want something that will utilize the rails, so I dont have to take them off.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sun Shade f/u/w Rag Top

Not sure if you can leave your sun bonnet on while using the rag top. But another way to go, is spider web shade. Take a look at their web site spiderwebshade.com You don't have to purchase extra anything & you can leave the shade in place even if you have the rag top up. @ $60 for wrangler is very affordable. There are 2 types. One is heavier then the other, then after that year & wrangler or unlimited.

Ok, i bought my 07 4 door in march of 2011, and part of the deal at the dealership was a soft top. So they ordered it, and I put it together. Now, I want to order the sun bonnet with the header...Does this product attach to the rails? I have a feeling that if I order a 07-09 model, that it will not work. and, in the pictures, it looks like it goes out to the rails and attaches somehow. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks and go huskers.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No this would be without the soft top attached. In the summer, I run the duster when I can, and wanted a bikini. but the one i have just uses velcro to go around the roll cage, alowing water around the sides.. Im looking for something that actually provides coverage over the door surrounds, that might allow a little less flapping.

·
The Bad Guy
23,247 Posts
Mr.Dave said:
yes the surrounds...I know there are two versions of soft tops, one is the cable system which is the newer version, and I believe that is what I have. There arent two versions of the mopar surrounds are there?

Also, when you watch some videos about soft top operation, it says to fold the sides under the drip retainer, which I don't have to do.

All in all, I want to know if the sun bonnet attaches to the door surrounds, because it looks like it does in the pictures they have.
07 is not the cable system.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This might help my cause:

The change was between 2009 and 2010.

In 2010, the soft tops are what we call "Cable tops" - they use a spring and cable system above the doors. Before this, you need to latch a plastic tab into the door surrounds. With the cable system, it holds itself down above the doors. This makes folding back the sunroof much easier, and dropping the top is easier too.

They look identical, unless you get up really close to door surrounds or feel for the spring.

The 2011 top is the same as a 2010, with a couple minor changes. The rear window is larger, and there's a slightly larger tab by the tailgate bar. Very minor change.

So by reading this, it looks like there isnt a channel for the bikini tops to go into.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bikinis using door surrounds are the old system of soft tops. if you hve the new cable system, no bikini will use them. thanks guys.

·
The Bad Guy
23,247 Posts
You said you have a 2007. :facepalm:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i dont think you can order the old style anymore, which is why they ordered me a newer one. I said that in the first post didnt i?

·
Registered
391 Posts
The Sun Bonnet from MOPAR comes WITH the header for the winshield. It does NOT attach to the door surrounds on the 2012, I dont know about the 2007. It has a flange that, I suppose, fit into a channel on the older models. The 2012 doesnt have a groove for it to fit into. I MADE mine fit by slamming it with the heel of my hand. It doesnt take too much pressure to force it in there. I had to adhere some velcro about midway across the the side of the surround to hold the Sun Bonnet in place on the highway, or it billows up. The flanges pull out from the wind pressure at speed. Doesnt hurt anything, but it flaps some if you dont use the velcro. If you keep it tight it doesnt leak. The buckles are a P.I.A. The straps that go around the sound bar are too long. I fold the tag-ends up to keep them from sailing and working loose. Next summer Ill put some velcro on them. The MOPAR Bonnet is about $100 more than the Bestop unit, but it comes with a factory header and does NOT leak at the windshield. It also has some small JEEP tags sewn into it. Thats GOT to make it worth more....

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ha! thanks for the info. i'll write jeep on my arm before our basketball game tonight to what that does for me. on a more serious note, if you ahve any pictures, i woul dlike to see a couple. Ive also been looking at the rampage dual top, which i doubt is good nor work the way i want.

·
The Bad Guy
23,247 Posts
i dont think you can order the old style anymore, which is why they ordered me a newer one. I said that in the first post didnt i?
No one can understand what you wrote in that first post.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts