Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I've got the motor torn down for a simple rebuild, and might replace the original cam, so why not see what cams anyone has run to provide a bit more low end grunt at the sacrifice of top end power. An extra 10-20 ft-lbs would be nice. Doesn't get spun over 4000rpm so I don't care about top end, and I'm already regeared for tires and transmission. Cruising rpm is 2500-3000.

Not interested in a stroker motor or any of the bolt on crap that doesn't do anything.

Other option is an adjustable timing sprocket to slightly advance the cam and move the power band rpm lower.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Don't bother. Unless I'm mistaken, the computer will adjust the engine to run the way it's programming says it should. Since you said you've already regeared, your only choice is probably to do so again, or change tire size.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Yes, there are cams and valve train changes you can make to get an extra 20 ft-lbs in 2500-3000 rpm range.

The downside is by the time you buy those parts, you'll be very close to stroker price. In fact, many of those parts are used on stroker motors.

Hesco is the company that makes/sells these parts - look into a Harlan Sharp roller rocker conversion, Hesco push rods, Hesco H264 cam advanced 4*, Hesco double roller timing chain with a late model intake manifold conversion & 62mm throttle body. You'll also want to port your head, add a header and get custom tuning via SplitSecond FTC-1. That should add about 25hp/tq across the RPM range on ~91/93 octane....for a few thousand bucks.

Bore the block 30 over, add Keith Black pistons and a 4.2L crankshaft and you've got a 4.6L stroker. The price difference of jumping to a stroker is minimal, and the work is nearly the same.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
This one from Comp Cams is going into my 91. It's only listed thru 97, so I'd give their tech guys a call and confirm the fitment or something better.
I've always gotten a good response from their tech team.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts