Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
engine light came on a while back. so i had it tested said bad cam sensor. cleared the error a few times, but it kept coming back. so i replaced it. still having the same error.
only sypmtom is that at about 4k engine stutters like its about to cut off. but when the idle drops no issues. i keep it under 3k anyway so it drives fine. missed a shift is how i revved so high. any ideas?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Have you read up on the OPDA issues? If not, start searching that.

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
Have you read up on the OPDA issues? If not, start searching that.
+2 if you have an 05 or 06! If this is the case do not keep clearing the code. Pull the opda asap and check it for wear otherwise you risk having to purchase a new motor

EDIT.... I just read your sig and saw that you have a rubihara just as I have. GET IT CHECKED OUT ASAP!! I was lucky when mine failed and I was only crawling on a trail but I lost all oil pressure none the less and had to get towed off the trail. If it had gone at highway speeds the best case I would have been shopping for a new motor. Worst case wouldn't have been real ugly.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
You sure you're having a cam sensor problem and not a crankshaft position sensor problem?

·
Registered
613 Posts
When I got mine checked. The guys says most jeeps read crank sensor and cam sensors as the same so u just have to replace both. There like $35 a piece anyway

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the feedback. i only cleared the error to make sure it wasn't a glitch. i don't drive her much(work from home). this coming week i'll throw a crank sensor in it. hopefully that takes care of it, i'll update then.

nice '05 btw. i read your posts as you where building it. its like you where reading my mind on the flares and lift. looks fantastic.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just read about the opda issue. thats not very exciting, but good to know about. seems some jeepers have had luck with the dealership footing the bill. i'll give a shout to my local shop, cross your fingers for me.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
za_mhz said:
just read about the opda issue. thats not very exciting, but good to know about. seems some jeepers have had luck with the dealership footing the bill. i'll give a shout to my local shop, cross your fingers for me.
Don't be surprised if they have never heard of this issue because most likely they haven't.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i won't be to suprised. but i do have a question i just brought napa up and looked at the cranck sensor, it looks identical to the cam sensor. these are different units right?

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
i won't be to suprised. but i do have a question i just brought napa up and looked at the cranck sensor, it looks identical to the cam sensor. these are different units right?
Yes,the cam sensor is the round sensor,hole in the middle & a wire hanging off of it. Crank sensor looks much different.Cant really explain what it looks like but there is a metal bracket with a hole in each end for mountng.Also a wire hanging off of it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i was on the napa site, and i had the 4.0 selected. i'm guess it was just a default pic. anyone have an image handy of where the crank sensor is located. i'l be picking one up tomorrow if it all works out. hopefully that takes care of the issue, if not i'm calling the dealership to see if they'll cover the pump issue.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
I dont have a picture but its easy to find.Drivers side,between engine & trans.If looking at the engine from the front of the Jeep its maybe 1 or 2 oclock position.Its got 2 mounting bolts.Cant miss it.

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
Im pretty certain that the cam sensor and opda are one unit. But I could be wrong. Make sure you read how to remove/install it because it has to be placed back in the exact position.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Jp90Talon said:
Im pretty certain that the cam sensor and opda are one unit. But I could be wrong. Make sure you read how to remove/install it because it has to be placed back in the exact position.
What he said^^^^.

The easiest way to replace it is to set piston 1 at TDC on the compression stroke before you remove the old OPDA. When you get the new OPDA it will have a plastic retainer inside of it that holds the tone ring in position for piston 1 at TDC. Pull the old OPDA out and put the new one in with the retainer still holding the tone ring in place. You may also have to use a long flat screwdriver to line up the oil pump drive down in the engine block. You'll know if it's not lined up because the OPDA will not seat all the way down on the engine block. Also make sure to buy a new gasket if it doesn't already come with the new OPDA.

And as far as I know the only place you can get a replacement OPDA is through the dealer or Mopar parts online.

This is all assuming your OPDA is bad. It could just be a bad cam sensor but that is rare.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
The cam sensor itself is inexpensive and separately replaceable.

This first one is the older style used when there is a distributor.

This second camshaft position sensor is used on newer distributorless 4.0L engines.

They are completely different looking.

The crankshaft position sensor looks like this...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts