Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first time poster and Wrangler newb. I just bought a used 2012 Rubicon from a dealer - nice vehicle. I noticed that it is equipped with both a backup and front facing camera, but they are not visible on the 730N.

Reading the forum, it seems I may need to have the unit "reflashed" to recognize the cameras. Is that the most likely reason they are not working? If the previous owner had them working, why are they not working now?

Thanks,
David

·
Retired Mod
11,133 Posts
Congrats on the new ride.

The previous owner may have had something like "Lockpick"...which they took with them.

I have a rear-view camera and a baby-cam in my Wrangler....and both work because I have Lockpick.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
A dealer "reflash" would only give you one camera; the rear. That because across all models, Chrysler only offers that one rear camera (option code XAC).

For more cameras, you need an aftermarket like the Lockpick mentioned. I am surprised if the previous owner took the Lockpick, he didn't take the cameras too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info both of you. I've read about Lockpick, so maybe he did take it. I'm not anxious to spend $200 or more on Lockpick, so maybe I'll try a dealer reflash for the backup camera and leave it at that.

·
Retired Mod
11,133 Posts
A dealer "reflash" would only give you one camera; the rear. That because across all models, Chrysler only offers that one rear camera (option code XAC).

For more cameras, you need an aftermarket like the Lockpick mentioned. I am surprised if the previous owner took the Lockpick, he didn't take the cameras too.
Probably depends on the type of camera....and what new vehicle the previous owner got.

Once Lincoln is out of his car seat, my baby-cam (which is really a non-mirror image license plate camera) is going up front.

If/when I sell my Jeep, I'll probably leave the cameras as well. The Lockpick is coming with me (new vehicle or for sell). The cameras were about $20 each, and it would be too much of a hassle to pull the wiring. I guess I could leave the wires and take the camera, but then there would be a small hole in the rear bumper since that one is a keyhole camera....and outside of a Jeep, I have no real need for a front view camera.

·
Retired Mod
11,133 Posts
Thanks for the info both of you. I've read about Lockpick, so maybe he did take it. I'm not anxious to spend $200 or more on Lockpick, so maybe I'll try a dealer reflash for the backup camera and leave it at that.
You will need to pull the head unit out to see how the video feed is connected. You will also need to trace the camera lines to see how they are grounded.

A dealer flash will be useless if the previous owner used a Lockpick unless you get an adapter that will allow you to connect the RCA input into the 730.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the advice panthermark. If a dealer is willing to do the flash for free, that's probably worth doing first. But if it doesn't work, I may need to pursue your suggestions.

·
Retired Mod
11,133 Posts
Thanks again for the advice panthermark. If a dealer is willing to do the flash for free, that's probably worth doing first. But if it doesn't work, I may need to pursue your suggestions.
You will want to check the connections first. If you have the dealer turn on the rear view camera function and there is no connection, everytime you go in/through reverse, the screen on your 730 will go black for as long as you are in reverse. Not a big deal...but it could be annoying.

Also...it is really, really, really easy to pull the head unit on a JK.

Really easy....especially in the summer when it is warm.

First time? 20-25 minutes to remove AND put it all back together.
(Check the 430rbz thread).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh! Well if you put it that way. :)

Yes, I saw a video on pulling the head unit, and it didn't look bad at all. Well, time to get to know my new Jeep I guess. Thanks again panthermark.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
You will want to check the connections first. If you have the dealer turn on the rear view camera function and there is no connection, everytime you go in/through reverse, the screen on your 730 will go black for as long as you are in reverse. Not a big deal...but it could be annoying.
Once the dealer flashes the 730N, there will be a new setup option allowing the user to enable or disable the rear camera function as they like. If you have no camera yet, then simply disable the function and you'll get no annoying black screen when in reverse. That's what I did until I got around to installing my rear camera.

·
Retired Mod
11,133 Posts
Once the dealer flashes the 730N, there will be a new setup option allowing the user to enable or disable the rear camera function as they like. If you have no camera yet, then simply disable the function and you'll get no annoying black screen when in reverse. That's what I did until I got around to installing my rear camera.
Ah, good to know. I didn't know the option was there post flash.....which is kind of dumb of me since I have that option on my 430 (via Lockpick)...I've just never bothered to turn it off.

Well in that case...the OP might as well see if they can get a free flash.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My dealer did the "flash" on my 730N on my 2014 JKUR for free. All the parts required were under $40. PM me if you need the part numbers and instructions on how to install the backup camera.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an interesting update.

So I took the dash apart to look behind the head unit, and see what I could figure out. There were two large bundles of wires going into plugs, one female and one male, not connected to anything, or each other. I followed the wires from these plugs down the dash on the driver's side. At the point where the dash meets the floor in the middle hump, which lead to a ... LockPick... hidden away, tucked under the dash out of sight!

I had no idea that was there, and I doubt the dealer knew. Why the former owner disconnected the LockPick, I don't know, but maybe he didn't want to freak out the dealer or the next buyer.

Well, long story short I got it working and now have front and back cameras! What a great bonus with the Jeep. The side view mirrors are pretty good, but the visibility out the back window is not great, so it is nice to have the camera.

Thanks everyone for your help - even Boothill for reminding me to just get out there and Jeep!

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Thanks for the update. Glad you found the LockPick, such restores my faith in used Jeep people.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.