Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting spring fever and starting to look for some items for my camp kitchen. I was looking at the trusty Coleman 2 burner stove but then came across the Blackstone table top griddle (1 burner), the Pit Boss table top griddle (2 burner), and a couple other 2 and 3 burner options and it got me thinking. Does anyone run a table top griddle instead of a camp stove? The 2 and 3 burner griddle would be more appealing. And you could still use a pot or pan on it if you wanted to....

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I've had the same Coleman 2 burner for over 30 years and my Family also had one when we camped when I was little. I don't remember a single failure. I also have the Coleman 2 burner lantern.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I have a Century Tool 2 burner stove that’s around 25 years old. I wouldn’t know what to buy these days. This one is made in the USA and I suspect they are all made in China these days. Look for one that’s made in the USA and has good reviews across the board.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Old school coleman stuff is hard to beat and very reliable. I find it at yard sales all the time. I have a three burner Coleman that my wife picked up never used for $5! I have multiple lanterns in single and double mantle configurations.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
You can find a lot of old Coleman Lanterns at flea markets and swap meets and stuff like that a lot of times if you keep an eye out too. A lot of those older Colemans just kept going, they may not have the BTUs of a newer unit or flashy features but they just kept working. My dad has an old Coleman I used to borrow a lot. I have a camp chef Everest now and I really like it and have good luck with it. When looking new the Colemans weren't rated as highly as some others so I didn't know if they would last as long as they used to. A camping griddle is something I have not used but it certainly is intriguing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a big Blackstone at home that I use and like it so having a smaller one in the Jeep caught my eye. The one I use at home I also put pots and pans on and it works well. One downfall with the griddle is the bigger dimensions than a Coleman camp stove. I was hoping to build a drawer system for whichever cooking source I decided to use.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm going camping with the fam in a couple of weeks. I've had spring fever too and looking forward to getting out more this year.

Subscribed to see lots of setups people are running.......(hint, hint).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually saw that slide system on youtube. The guy built it for himself but had so many comments in the video about people wanting to buy it so he started producing them. Pretty cool. And since we are talking kitchen setups, I'm also looking at a couple budget brand fridges. I wish I had the funds for a Dometic but I can't justify it. I've been kind of leaning towards the BougeRV, about the same price as a decent cooler. What does everyone else have for a budget fridge?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
There is one in our group who uses the Blackstone table top griddle. Can't be beat for bacon and eggs in the morning. Clean up is easier than a coated frying pan. No need for soap and water. Being cast iron, just scrape it clean.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I actually saw that slide system on youtube. The guy built it for himself but had so many comments in the video about people wanting to buy it so he started producing them. Pretty cool. And since we are talking kitchen setups, I'm also looking at a couple budget brand fridges. I wish I had the funds for a Dometic but I can't justify it. I've been kind of leaning towards the BougeRV, about the same price as a decent cooler. What does everyone else have for a budget fridge?
This is the one I have but it's not available anymore. Ausranvik 48qt Fridge

It was about $350 when I got mine. They have smaller versions that are a bit cheaper (like the 45qt which is under $300, which is available).

I use mine as a spare fridge in the garage for beer, cokes, beer, kids drinks, and sometimes (more) beer. I've had it for 2 years. I (finally) got around to running some extra wire to the cargo area of my Jeep for it, but haven't really taken the fridge on enough bounce tests to verify it's ruggedness on the trails.

It's definitely not as rugged looking as a Dometic or ARB, but I've been pretty happy with it and it's a lot cheaper than the big brands. It's light for its size. I used two 6ft "ratchet style" cinch straps to secure it to my Jeep's D rings. To me, the handles feel like they could bend or crack if you crank down on the strapping, but it was strapped tight enough to not budge when on the go. I don't know how this would fair for a hard core wheeler or if you're bouncing off the rocks. For the forest roads though, it's more than good enough for me.

The only two knocks I have really is the 12V plug doesn't seem to fit too securely in the 12V socket I installed. The 12V socket is not a big name brand either, so that could also have something with it. The fridge door can be set to open from the side (mine) or the front. The one knock about having it open from the front is the hinge port is the same side as the display. I wished it were the other way around so you can see the fridge status when grabbing food/drinks.

With the side open option for the door, the door hinge is on the right side if the display is to the front. Since my 12V socket is on the driver's side, I either have to move the fridge to the passenger side or turn the display end toward the seats to easily access the fridge. There's enough length in the power cord to do this and may not be a big deal for some, but thought I would mention this anyways.

I don't have a lot of trail miles on mine as it's been used more for a spare fridge in the garage for drinks (and beer), but I've been happy with it. If you're a weekend warrior that runs the light trails (like me), then this might be worth looking into. If you're going for those days long expeditions or hardcore rock crawler, then maybe something more robust is in order. Hope this helps (sorry for the winded post).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm definitely not into the hard core rock climbing yet. Weekend warrior and light trails is a good description of what I will be doing.

·
Registered
2011 JKU, 3.8L 42RLE w/5:13's
23 Posts
I built my own slide for a Costway fridge. It's a ⅓ the cost of an ARB or Dometic and works great. I can't justify the cost of a house fridge for a tiny seasonal unit. Check them out, they're a china model (what isn't?) and works great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts