Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed to Rocky Mountain National Park with my gf this weekend. Any camping must haves on my new Jeep?

Tent camping but looking for suggestions. TIA!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
A good tent. I've camped many years and I've learned that you must stay dry in the mountains. The tent must be wind proof and waterproof. The fly must come to the ground to ensure that. You will need to set up a tarp of some kind. Bring good tent stakes. The little aluminum stakes that come with most small tents don't cut it in the Rockies.

A good sleeping bag and sleeping pad. Nothing beats a good night's sleep in a tent in the mountains!

My VE25 and setup.

·
Super Moderator
23,228 Posts
ARB fridge keeps the beer cold and no ice needed. a ARB 50 will hold 2x the food and beverage as a 50 qt cooler because all the space is available.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Flashlights or headlights to keep your hands free. Pocket knife and clothesline. Its cheap and somehow I always end up needing it. Fire logs make starting the fire easy. Birth control. Again bug spray & bug candles. If your at a campsite with a bathhouse, cheap sandals or athletes foot spray. I like those new 2 minute easy up tents that don't require messing with poles or those elastic frames. Always check the weather and plan accordingly.

Reactions: Shadowmaker

·
Registered
9 Posts
A good tent. I've camped many years and I've learned that you must stay dry in the mountains. The tent must be wind proof and waterproof. The fly must come to the ground to ensure that. You will need to set up a tarp of some kind. Bring good tent stakes. The little aluminum stakes that come with most small tents don't cut it in the Rockies.

A good sleeping bag and sleeping pad. Nothing beats a good night's sleep in a tent in the mountains!

My VE25 and setup.

What is the canopy brand and model?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Dry toilet paper, because, ya know.........

Reactions: skepace

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Shovel, folding chairs, LED headlamps, tarp for under the tent, hatchet & folding pruning saw for firewood, and your lady's favorite beverage

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
What is the canopy brand and model?
Kelty Noah tarp. I bought the poles separately. This is the 12x12 tarp. It's huge. The poles I bought from REI are adjustable so you can set the tarp at any height. It'll cover a picnic table, but I frequently just put it up as a place to get out of the sun and rain. It's been a life saver. The best part is that it's a catenary cut...which means that it'll pitch tight when it's staked down.

It normally stakes down at four points... two on the pole ends... two on the sides... but I use two 1/4" rope tie down lines at each pole end, plus the sides, for a total of six.

You see...I have experience with mountain wind. Fool me once...

... And these are the tent pegs I use. They're cheap, and you can pound these into anything and they won't bend.

ABCCANOPY Tent Stake Pegs Garden Stakes, 10pcs Galvanized Non-Rust 10'' Pop up Pergolas Canopy Accessories Gazebo Accessories Peg Stakes Orange Stopper Bonus 4pcs 10ft Ropes & 1 PVC top https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AT2L34A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gMVDDb9RH3VND

·
Registered
155 Posts
Kelty Noah tarp. I bought the poles separately. This is the 12x12 tarp. It's huge. The poles I bought from REI are adjustable so you can set the tarp at any height. It'll cover a picnic table, but I frequently just put it up as a place to get out of the sun and rain. It's been a life saver. The best part is that it's a catenary cut...which means that it'll pitch tight when it's staked down.

It normally stakes down at four points... two on the pole ends... two on the sides... but I use two 1/4" rope tie down lines at each pole end, plus the sides, for a total of six.

You see...I have experience with mountain wind. Fool me once...

... And these are the tent pegs I use. They're cheap, and you can pound these into anything and they won't bend.

ABCCANOPY Tent Stake Pegs Garden Stakes, 10pcs Galvanized Non-Rust 10'' Pop up Pergolas Canopy Accessories Gazebo Accessories Peg Stakes Orange Stopper Bonus 4pcs 10ft Ropes & 1 PVC top https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AT2L34A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gMVDDb9RH3VND

I have had one for 20ish years, they are an amazing asset once you figure out how to guy, pole and stake them.

an odd, fairly cheap item I never camp without:

https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Electric-Resistant-Durabilty-K4082-L/dp/B07BSS1N6D/ref=sr_1_15?gclid=CjwKCAjw8NfrBRA7EiwAfiVJpUioR6NwHr0V6lCjuhShRuNayCWcx1GqSPqvx67imOWcqOVPUtNZjRoCRocQAvD_BwE&hvadid=153751816002&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1014526&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9810069858148538478&hvtargid=kwd-1244818312&hydadcr=1639_9515863&keywords=lincoln+welding+gloves&qid=1568081768&s=gateway&sr=8-15

·
Registered
769 Posts
Lots of the essentials covered.

I'll double the recommendation for a good sleeping bag and pad. If you see yourself doing a lot of camping in the future, consider paying the extra price for a good down bag. Not cheap, but unlike synthetic it'll be good as new for decades with proper care, will compact down waaay smaller, be waaay lighter, and waaay fluffier. Not a necessity for car camping, but a nice luxury, and if you see any backpacking your future, down is really a must. And make sure to have some type of sleeping pad, the cheap closed cell foam thermarests work alright, though inflatables are warmer and more comfortable.

Another nice thing for pounding tent stakes is a rubber mallet or plastic dead blow hammer, highly functional and don't make a bunch of clanging racket like a rock or metal hammer would. Also better for banging on your Jeep if you need to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shovel, folding chairs, LED headlamps, tarp for under the tent, hatchet & folding pruning saw for firewood, and your lady's favorite beverage
Never would have thought of the hatchet. The rest of the stuff I know to bring. Thanks!

My gf already put her food and beverage order in. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BUG spray,Bug candles and a nice battery jump starter/air compresser/light usb charger combo (less than 90 bucks)

What kind of air compressor/jump start/usb charger do you have? Lots on amazon and not sure what will work for the JK to reinflate the tires.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Never would have thought of the hatchet. The rest of the stuff I know to bring. Thanks!

My gf already put her food and beverage order in. :)
A cross-cut saw and a medium handled axe are required. You can make dry kindling from a wet log if you have an axe (hint! It's on the inside. ). Also...fire starter. Dry kindling and fire starter will save you from cold and dreary nights.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts