Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018JKU in Rhino (best color ever)
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I’ll be passing through NM in early October and I’m hoping to get some pointers from some locals on good dispersed spots for camping.

I’ve been crawling google satellite imagery trying to find some places but figured wouldn’t hurt to ask.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Hi. I’ll be passing through NM in early October and I’m hoping to get some pointers from some locals on good dispersed spots for camping.

I’ve been crawling google satellite imagery trying to find some places but figured wouldn’t hurt to ask.

Thanks!

Take a look at the Campendium app. There are other apps for boondocking and dispersed camping as well. Lots of federal and state land in New Mexico.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Campendium. Thanks for the tip, will check it out.

Someone else pointed me to New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route (NMBDR) Map & Information which has my mind racing.
Best wishes for a safe but fun trip. NMBDR looks awesome. I have studied that on a regular map wondering if I could drive all the way through and this shows a good route. from the BDR; “The NMBDR route is designed to be ridden on adventure and dual-sport motorcycles, as well as driven in 4×4 vehicles. There are no single-track style trails on this route.”. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts

Thanks!

Where about are "passing thru"? I currently live in NM, near Santa Fe, and depending on the area you plan of going to I may have a few to recommend, and a few to stay away from.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Best wishes for a safe but fun trip. NMBDR looks awesome. I have studied that on a regular map wondering if I could drive all the way through and this shows a good route. from the BDR; “The NMBDR route is designed to be ridden on adventure and dual-sport motorcycles, as well as driven in 4×4 vehicles. There are no single-track style trails on this route.”. Thanks
I've been looking at it as well, plan on trying it in the next few months or next Summer. I know that the route is pretty easy most of the way, with only one section I know of that may have a smal "moderate" strrech; not so bad a stock Jeep wouldn't make it.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where about are "passing thru"? I currently live in NM, near Santa Fe, and depending on the area you plan of going to I may have a few to recommend, and a few to stay away from.
From Lake City, CO traveling home to Austin. It’s easy to detour almost anywhere

·
Registered
37 Posts
From Lake City, CO traveling home to Austin. It’s easy to detour almost anywhere

OK, then what type of area are you looking for? I assume you are planning on coming down through Taos. There's Abiquiu Lake, Lake Heron, Bandelier Nat. Monument. There's Camp May up above Los Alamos as well.

Depending on the weather, the dirt road out of Los Alamos down into Dixon, may even be open. It's a pretty easy drive, and has some really beautiful scenery.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I've been looking at it as well, plan on trying it in the next few months or next Summer. I know that the route is pretty easy most of the way, with only one section I know of that may have a smal "moderate" strrech; not so bad a stock Jeep wouldn't make it.
I live near the southern leg. My biggest concern is fuel from Dell City to Cloudcroft…may have to invest in Jerry can holder.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I live near the southern leg. My biggest concern is fuel from Dell City to Cloudcroft…may have to invest in Jerry can holder.
Assuming you mean Dell City, TX, it's only 105 miles to Cloudcroft NM, if you go up NM 506 - Even my Gas Hog of a Jeep will make that. Disclaimer: I do carry 40 ltrs of gas when I'm down there.

Check it out of Google Maps.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Assuming you mean Dell City, TX, it's only 105 miles to Cloudcroft NM, if you go up NM 506 - Even my Gas Hog of a Jeep will make that. Disclaimer: I do carry 40 ltrs of gas when I'm down there.

Check it out of Google Maps.
278 miles on the trail for segment 1. Prob still have enough since Cloudcroft is a few miles south of Ruidoso. Weed, NM reporting no fuel available.
Property Ecoregion Map World Rectangle

Reactions: dgsimick

·
Registered
37 Posts
278 miles on the trail for segment 1. Prob still have enough since Cloudcroft is a few miles south of Ruidoso. Weed, NM reporting no fuel available.
View attachment 4523110
Dude, I'm sorry, you shifted gears and I stayed in 2nd.

Your correct, Weed doesn't have gas, and you probably should take at least one extra can of gas.
Do you have a set day to travel?

I'm really close to Espanola and would like to hear a trail report from you.

There's also a pretty good route that starts in Pie Town and goes north, it will probably be my first solo route.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Dude, I'm sorry, you shifted gears and I stayed in 2nd.

Your correct, Weed doesn't have gas, and you probably should take at least one extra can of gas.
Do you have a set day to travel?

I'm really close to Espanola and would like to hear a trail report from you.

There's also a pretty good route that starts in Pie Town and goes north, it will probably be my first solo route.
🤣
Yeah, not sure when I’m gonna go. Probably in October/November sometime…will let you know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, then what type of area are you looking for? I assume you are planning on coming down through Taos. There's Abiquiu Lake, Lake Heron, Bandelier Nat. Monument. There's Camp May up above Los Alamos as well.

Depending on the weather, the dirt road out of Los Alamos down into Dixon, may even be open. It's a pretty easy drive, and has some really beautiful scenery.
This all sounds fantastic. I’m in a 2018jku so pretty capable of getting to interesting places

1 - 14 of 14 Posts