Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant drive in 2wd after trails

My husband stupidly took my Jeep out without me on some trails this weekend. When he came back the Jeep won’t move at all in 2WD. It drives fine in 4hi but if I turn there’s a really nasty grinding sound from the rear. Any ideas what it could be? We haven’t had a chance to open it up or anything yet. Just wondering what I’m possibly dealing with.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
My husband stupidly took my Jeep out without me on some trails this weekend. When he came back the Jeep won’t move at all in 2WD. It drives fine in 4hi but if I turn there’s a really nasty grinding sound from the rear. Any ideas what it could be? We haven’t had a chance to open it up or anything yet. Just wondering what I’m possibly dealing with.
Assuming this is a serious question.... IF you are in 4Hi and attempting turning etc on dry pavement the grinding is coming from your Binding driveline. You Can't be driving in 4H/4L unless on dirt, snow, sand etc - surfaces that "give".
Also, don't be "opening" anything up.

Why the Jeep isn't shifting back into 2wd is the issue. Try shifting it into 2wd and backing up then forward.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rock it back and forth from reverse to forward a few times and then bang it forward with the palm of your hand. If that doesn’t work crawl under the vehicle looking for a stick jammed up against the transfer case linkage.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
Wow, that could be as simple as an incomplete shift into 2H or the spider gears in the rear diff might be broken. What type of Jeep, what type of rear differential?
Sadly, it sounds like the spider gears in the diff to me.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Wow, that could be as simple as an incomplete shift into 2H or the spider gears in the rear diff might be broken. What type of Jeep, what type of rear differential?
Sadly, it sounds like the spider gears in the diff to me.
^^^^^ This is highly likely. When spiders go away they can do exactly as described but usually you will start to get a noise from the rear diff because of stray parts and pieces going through the ring and pinion even when traveling in a straight line being pulled by the front diff only.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Here is a good video , might help. hope it's an easy fix.

https://youtu.be/xp9JhUvb1uw

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

And remember, that linkage cable is held on with plastic clips & if you use too much force, the clips break & you have to get under the Jeep to get the transfer case back into gear. The clips on the TC end, in particular, can get brittle with age from being close to the exhaust pipe & getting heat cycled.

But from what you are saying, no drive in 2WD & grinding from the rear in 4WD when cornering, it sounds like something in the rear diff is broken. As per others, above, usually the spider gears, since it is only when cornering. They don't move relative to each other when going in a straight line. If it was the ring & pinion gears, it would have problems in a straight line too. That could still happen, though, if bits of spider gear get in between the R&P teeth & damage them as well.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
will the 4wd shifter just not move into 2H, meaning you can't push it hard enough to move it back to 2H or are you saying the shift moves into 2H and the jeep won't move when you push the gas after shifting to 2H?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Real simple to figure this out whether it's the spider gears, or something else. Put it in 2 wheel drive. Put it in drive, or first...whichever you have. Have someone lay beside the Jeep to see if the rear driveshaft is turning. Just be careful not to run them over! If the driveshaft is turning with no forward movement...spider gears. If not, transfer case is more than likely jammed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts