Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

It's been nearly a decade since I've logged on. Last time I was on here was when I owned an XJ. Fast forward to today and I am now a proud new owner of a 2017 JKUHR in Rhino Grey. Stoked.

Anyway, spent some time troubleshooting what I now believe is a dead uconnect module. My JKU has the 430N, connectivity package and uconnect module from the factory. After performing master resets on the 430N and pulling both the usual fuses and getting nothing when I press the phone or VR buttons on the 430N and the steering wheel I tore the dash apart to reseat all the cables. Nada. I don't even get a charge when I connect my cell to the USB fed from the uconnect module.

Uconnect support suggested I visit a dealer. So I did. They want $140 to just tell me the module is bad.

As I understand it, a radio that has never had a uconnect module connected to it requires some dealer intervention to "program" or "activate" it and or the module...and this is where I start getting confused. Do the modules and radios need to be matched or does the radio need to just be programmed once to look for a uconnect?

So heres my question: can I replace the bad uconnect module with a known good one without having to change anything on my radio? (IE paying the dealer $140 to activate something).

Thanks all!

<D>

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, can the module be swapped with an older unit/version? My dead one ends in AC can it be swapped with an AA?

Thanks
Dan

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I can't really answer your question, but I have a couple suggestions for when you do get your answer. I have been reading the forums a lot lately looking at adding an aftermarket HU to my 2012 JK. A lot of the reviewers state that they disconnected or removed the UConnect module when they upgraded. Those modules may be available out there pretty cheap if you need a replacement.

As far as programming look into some of the threads about OBDII modules and the Jscan app. You might be able to do any programming you need much cheaper than the dealer and you will have other features outside of your current situation.

Good luck. I'm interested to see how this works out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I believe the new modules come “blank” without programming.
I retrofitted a 430N into a wrangler that didn’t have uconnect. I purchased a nav unit/unconnect module from a seller on eBay. I had to buy a uconnect retrofit kit because I couldn’t find the wiring harness separately (kit came with a new module).
With the used nav unit and new module, I couldn’t get Bluetooth to work. I tried programming with appcar and nothing. I switched the new uconnect module with the used one that came with the nav unit and everything worked.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I don’t have uconnect and honestly would suggest upgrading to something a better I have my Seicane unit and while it has its little niggles I like it over the poorly designed uconnect system, if it worked better I would use it as that would be OEM to the Jeep

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies and info all. Ive ordered a claimed working uconnect module from ebay. Will report back once i try the swap. The 430N in my jeep is programmed for uconnect so if a drop in is possible this should work. I'm simply trying to get bluetooth working with my phone.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Closing the loop on this. You CAN replace the uconnect module without programming if your 430N has already worked with uconnect.

Cheers,
<D>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts