Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2015 JKU with U430 but standard speaker system. The Alpine system sounds great and would love to upgrade my system to it. Does anyone know if a dealer would be able to instal that system and if so roughly how much would it cost. Totally wish I would have gotten that option when I had it built.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would do some research and look at other options. Dealers are not always adept at audio installs, and their labor rates are usually fairly high. Can they do it? Most likely. Will they? Some will, some won't. Are the parts available in kit form? Not sure. You will spend much more for the parts than what the option would have cost. Add to that, the labor to install. It may just be not a smooth move to go that route, from a financial perspective.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
from what ive read, its economically not feasible/smart to do. you can get a whole speaker upgrade for far less expensive. i wouldnt go that route. especially from the dealer

·
Registered
669 Posts
did you get the u-connect, satellite options, there is a package name for the connection package just cant think of it at the moment..

if you didn't get that it will be very hard to have the alpine system installed. Even the after market one..

·
Registered
132 Posts
For what you are going to pay the dealership to install a factory sound system, you are better off going aftermarket. No factory system will ever sound as good as an aftermarket system installed by a good audio shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same boat, U430 however didn't get the 9 speaker system. Nobody had one on the lot when I got it. I would love to add the sub. is that possible, and the amp?

·
Registered
26 Posts
As others have said I would imagine the dealer is going to charge a lot for a minimal upgrade and you never know the quality of work they would do. (Audio not being their forte) Finding a reputable audio shop would be the way to go IMHO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i got a price of $630 and sone change for all the parts. 2 sets of 3.5 speakers 2 sets of 6.5 speakers one amp and sub with enclosure. They could not tell me if the wiring is there for the amp though. They we not sure on labor since they have never done it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
lol I'd love to know what part the amplifier is.

The 6.5 speakers are part # 68223394AA and about $18 each speaker
The 3.5 speakers are part # 68223392AA and about $12 each speaker
The subwoofer is part # 68223349ab and around $160-200

Nobody has the part number for the amplifier. I think that Jeeps have one of two wire harnesses in them.
Oh my look what I found!

http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1299774&ukey_product=10693795

According to that, the amplifier is 68223347AC or 68223348AC

http://www.tucsonmoparparts.com/jeep/wrangler/68223347ac/2015-year/unlimited-rubicon-trim/3-6l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/sound-system-scat/?part_name=amplifier

verifies that.

Sweet!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I took my dash apart today to trace wiring and found the small amp under the steering column has power and ground and 4 speaker wires. No other harness to install the alpine 12 channel amp. It appears the wiring to the sub is in the rear though.

I might still get the factory sub set up and run off a different amp. Not sure off how many watts it takes though. Only thing i know it its 4 channel. Can run a nice component set up as well in dash and sound bar.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the alpine and really like it. I haven't looked yet but is it 9 speakers? I've noticed 2 on the dash top, 2 in the lower dash and 2 in the soundbar and the sub.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have the alpine and really like it. I haven't looked yet but is it 9 speakers? I've noticed 2 on the dash top, 2 in the lower dash and 2 in the soundbar and the sub.
There are 4 in the sound bar. Each of those grills/covers has two different sized speakers in them. I don't recall the sizes.

To the OP, I found exactly the Willys I wanted on a dealer lot, right color, half doors and everything, but it didn't have the Alpine speakers. I told my sales guy that if the shop could swap in the Alpine system I'd buy it today. He checked with the shop and they said they couldn't do it. The Alpine system was a must-have for me so I ended up ordering.

Totally worth the expense for the upgrade, by the way, especially if you're not particularly handy with audio installs and don't plan on doing an aftermarket system.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I know for a fact that there was no Mopar part number for the wiring kit to add a premium Alpine amp to a base system back in 2013/14. I was told it was because they install the wiring at assembly and there was no way for the dealer to install it. I am guessing the same holds true for 2015.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
i got a price of $630 and sone change for all the parts. 2 sets of 3.5 speakers 2 sets of 6.5 speakers one amp and sub with enclosure. They could not tell me if the wiring is there for the amp though. They we not sure on labor since they have never done it.
Given that the dealer will be charging from $70 to $100 per hour. I'd bet the labor will cost more than the parts.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
go after market. dont do dealer installed. they arent audio ppl and will probably screw something up

·
Registered
351 Posts
I took my dash apart today to trace wiring and found the small amp under the steering column has power and ground and 4 speaker wires. No other harness to install the alpine 12 channel amp. It appears the wiring to the sub is in the rear though.

I might still get the factory sub set up and run off a different amp. Not sure off how many watts it takes though. Only thing i know it its 4 channel. Can run a nice component set up as well in dash and sound bar.
This is interesting! Maybe that's why the stock speakers sound like crap and everyone says the upgraded speakers still don't seem to sound quite right.

Maybe it's that little amplifier..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts