Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can "angry sparrows" make a "clanging" or "clanking" sound?

2000 TJ w/ 177,000 miles, 4.0 manual in the rust belt. Drives just fine with the noise.

I've been getting a clanging or clanking sound in the front center of the Jeep. It sounds like its coming from the front diff or the front drive shaft. Useually it makes that clanging sound and sometimes makes a squeeking sound that is usually associated with the angry sparrows sound but from all the reading I've done I haven't seen anyone talk about a clanging sound. Do you think this is just the AS problem or is it more then that? Also, about a 1/4 of the time it doesnt make any noise at all.

What did it cost you to fix this at a shop?

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
U joint going out?

A lot of people here wrench on their own rigs... You may have to go to a shop for an estimate.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
When mine did that it was the bearing in the water pump shaft. It would squeek like a belt and up close it sounded like a sparrow trying to chatter with a mouth full of marbles. Thats the only way I can think to explain it... even with a new belt there wasn't any dif. in noise. The giveaway was when anti-freeze started to trickle out the front of the shaft.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts