Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler without AC. Does anyone know if you can get AC installed from the dealer? I called and i got transferred like 5 times, one guy said they haven't made a kit for installing it after factory in years. I can live without AC for city driving, but when I'm going on long distance trips id rather not die lol People are saying trade it in or take top and doors off so please don't say that too. I just would like to know, does the dealer have a A/C kit and can they install it? has anyone done this with their JK?

·
Registered
503 Posts
There is an outside company that makes a kit. Its on this forum somewhere.The
question was asked before.Somebody will chime in or search.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talked to another dealership, told me its not possible to install A/C. They said there was a kit but i guess they stopped -_- Makes no sense, if you offer A/C as an option you should probably have a kit if someone decides to get A/C later... Or they can just have A/C by default. Its 2017 and still A/C is not standard in jeeps, how did humans even make it this far -_-

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hate to be this guy but if you wanted ac why did you buy a jeep without it. Was it that good of a deal you couldn't pass it up. There is no way I would own a vehicle without ac. Not that I use it much but on a hot sticky day damn it feels nice

·
Registered
227 Posts
A/C? Just take the top off.

·
Registered
941 Posts
..Its 2017 and still A/C is not standard in jeeps, how did humans even make it this far -_-
Lol, they build them without a/c but you're the one who bought one without it. The "hardcore" Jeepers would get irate if Jeep had a/c standard.

A/C? Just take the top off.
When it's a rainy, muggy night it sure is nice to have a/c to keep some of that humidity out.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Talked to another dealership, told me its not possible to install A/C. They said there was a kit but i guess they stopped -_- Makes no sense, if you offer A/C as an option you should probably have a kit if someone decides to get A/C later... Or they can just have A/C by default. Its 2017 and still A/C is not standard in jeeps, how did humans even make it this far -_-
Supply and demand most likely. To add A/C to a modern vehicle is much more than bolting on a compressor and running a longer belt. If the cost of the kit and the install is high enough, the market won't buy the kit/install. The thousands it would cost to add, can exceed the lose in trade in on properly spec'd vehicle.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Supply and demand most likely. To add A/C to a modern vehicle is much more than bolting on a compressor and running a longer belt. If the cost of the kit and the install is high enough, the market won't buy the kit/install. The thousands it would cost to add, can exceed the lose in trade in on properly spec'd vehicle.
I would add that, today, if you wanted A/C while shopping, there are plenty other vehicles on the dealer's lot, with factory A/C. The salesman would simply steer you over to one of those instead of retrofitting one without.

This is different from decades ago, when most vehicles on the lot, would not have factory A/C. So, to sell you one of those, the dealer would need to add A/C.

I remember that on the YJ's, even factory A/C was a box under the dash. :happyyes:

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
If you are buying a kit AND paying a dealer to install it (not just paying a mechanic but paying a DEALER) it would probably be cheaper to sell the Jeep that does not have A/C (to someone who actually wants a Jeep without A/C) and buy a Jeep that has A/C from the factory. Another aspect of adding A/C yourself is lack of coverage from the factory warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll just suck it up and survive without it. It's one less thing to worry about breaking down in the future I guess and I'll just take my top off and open windows

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Don't know where you're located, but all 3 dealers in the Tacoma area refuse to add it... instead refer us to an a/c specialty shop. Their price was $2800 + tax, or $3080 OTD.

Fortunately, here in the Pacific North WET, we only really need a/c a dozen times a year.
I find I can be pretty comfortable, except for the noise, up to 85 degrees... then I drive my F-150, and chill!!

Still, it may be a choice between MT's with 35" KO2's and a/c... hmmmm...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sell it. The reason dealers won't touch it is because there is a high risk of it being an unreliable system - non-factory AC can be temperamental. $2500 sounds about right for an aftermarket system, but it's still going to be unreliable. And when time comes to sell it, NO ONE is going to buy a Jeep with the aftermarket air. It'll be worth less than market value.

Sell it while you can, buy another one with AC. It's only way to solve the problem and minimize loss and the pain in the ass factor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I live in the HOT south... Can't imagine buying a new Jeep without AC! I had a YJ for several years in my younger days and never enjoyed stopping at red lights on 90+ degree days. DAMN I don't miss those sweaty days!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Price sounds in the ballpark. I inquired with 2 dealers locally (Ontario, Canada), and both were willing to do it. I didn't go ahead with the install.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'll just suck it up and survive without it. It's one less thing to worry about breaking down in the future I guess and I'll just take my top off and open windows
Good on ya, mate. Mankind not only survived but thrived for thousands of years without A/C. Figure out other ways to keep cool, like windows, the top, cold drinks with ice in a thermos type cup.

I grew up in Georgia back in the sixties. Never had a car with A/C. I spent a Summer Quarter at the University living in an A/C dorm, eating in the A/C cafeteria, riding on campus A/C buses and sitting in A/C classes. I got so acclimated that I couldn't go outside. Never again.

I had A/C in my first Wrangler, bought used in 2010 so I didn't have a choice. In seven years, I used it seven times. Rolled up the windows (manually--gasp!), turned it on, let it run for five minutes to see if it still worked, then turned it off and rolled the windows back down. Had to argue with my salesman when I ordered my Willys without A/C. Him: "Think of the resale value." Me: "I'd rather think about the $1,300 I can put towards my automatic transmission."

We're becoming a nation of wimps.

Said the guy who drives an automatic, lol.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Good on ya, mate. Mankind not only survived but thrived for thousands of years without A/C. Figure out other ways to keep cool, like windows, the top, cold drinks with ice in a thermos type cup.

I grew up in Georgia back in the sixties. Never had a car with A/C. I spent a Summer Quarter at the University living in an A/C dorm, eating in the A/C cafeteria, riding on campus A/C buses and sitting in A/C classes. I got so acclimated that I couldn't go outside. Never again.

I had A/C in my first Wrangler, bought used in 2010 so I didn't have a choice. In seven years, I used it seven times. Rolled up the windows (manually--gasp!), turned it on, let it run for five minutes to see if it still worked, then turned it off and rolled the windows back down. Had to argue with my salesman when I ordered my Willys without A/C. Him: "Think of the resale value." Me: "I'd rather think about the $1,300 I can put towards my automatic transmission."

We also went thousands of years without Jeeps......doesn't mean we have to go without them now :D

:lmao:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
We also went thousands of years without Jeeps......doesn't mean we have to go without them now :D

:lmao:

that is true, but imagine what the world would be like today without them? (nod to Willys MB).

though I will add they didn't have A/C in them back then. but i'm sure the guys surrounded in Bastogne would have gladly taken a heat option and maybe a top and a half

1 - 20 of 25 Posts