Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 JKU Automatic with the 3.21 setup on stock Sahara wheels/tires.

Quite often it seems to get in too high of a gear and not downshift when I would expect it to.

For example, if I'm cruising along on flat ground, then need to go up a slow, steady incline (let's say about 10 degrees for 300 yards), my RPMs drop to like 900-1000 and it slugs up the hill.

I usually just manually bump it down a gear using the bump shifter and the RPMs will jump to about 1900-2000... which is easily in the ideal range.

Can the AEV ProCal alter my shift points so that I don't have this issue? Basically, I'd like to put my transmission in "Power" or "Sport" mode instead of "Grandma".

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yes, you can change shift points with a ProCal but I believe it is for only when you re-gear. Not sure it will address what you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Have you tried giving it more gas?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, you can change shift points with a ProCal but I believe it is for only when you re-gear. Not sure it will address what you are talking about.
Is the setting you're thinking of the one for when you change tire size? Or is there really one for re-gearing as well? Either way, not sure if it would help in my situation. But thanks for the reply. :)

Have you tried giving it more gas?
Yes, I've tried giving it more gas and that will eventually make it shift, but causes the vehicle to lurch forward instead of smoothly accelerating. If I give it enough gas to force it to downshift, it shoots the RPMs up closer to 3200-4000 instead of the ~2000 if I manually make it downshift and keep the accelerator in the same position.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Is the setting you're thinking of the one for when you change tire size? Or is there really one for re-gearing as well? Either way, not sure if it would help in my situation. But thanks for the reply. :)

Yes, I've tried giving it more gas and that will eventually make it shift, but causes the vehicle to lurch forward instead of smoothly accelerating. If I give it enough gas to force it to downshift, it shoots the RPMs up closer to 3200-4000 instead of the ~2000 if I manually make it downshift and keep the accelerator in the same position.
No the setting I am thinking of is the setting for changing the shit points. There is also a setting for changing tire size but there is a specific setting to change shift points, I just did it 6 months ago

·
Registered
929 Posts
Once again lots of mis information...the pro cal does NOT have the ability to change your shift points. It corrects your speedometer due to tire size change and/or rear gear change. And this in turn corrects the shift points due to the tire/gear change. The ProCal gives you no control over when the tranny shifts.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Once again lots of mis information...the pro cal does NOT have the ability to change your shift points. It corrects your speedometer due to tire size change and/or rear gear change. And this in turn corrects the shift points due to the tire/gear change. The ProCal gives you no control over when the tranny shifts.
Definitely not on 2012 and up. Don't know about prior models.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The ProCal has a setting that allows you to change the gear setting which will change the shift point based on the gearing you enter.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Try re-setting the computer. Disconnect the positive cable and leave it off for a couple hours. The systems will then be forced to re-learn your driving style.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Try re-setting the computer. Disconnect the positive cable and leave it off for a couple hours. The systems will then be forced to re-learn your driving style.
That's not the reset procedure. You need to ground the positive cable to the negative terminal for 30 seconds.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have a 2013 JKU Automatic with the 3.21 setup on stock Sahara wheels/tires. Quite often it seems to get in too high of a gear and not downshift when I would expect it to. For example, if I'm cruising along on flat ground, then need to go up a slow, steady incline (let's say about 10 degrees for 300 yards), my RPMs drop to like 900-1000 and it slugs up the hill. I usually just manually bump it down a gear using the bump shifter and the RPMs will jump to about 1900-2000... which is easily in the ideal range. Can the AEV ProCal alter my shift points so that I don't have this issue? Basically, I'd like to put my transmission in "Power" or "Sport" mode instead of "Grandma".
Ha ha, drove me nuts too. Then it got even worse when I put on 33s. It was that "wtf, am I driving a minivan" feeling that sold me on a regear.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have the 3.21s and auto and I agree it shifts terrible. I literally manually shift it all the time. The MPG/AVG Lie-o-meter isn't really accurate but it shows that I get better MPG shifting manually vs letting the auto do it own thing.

·
Registered
929 Posts
The ProCal has a setting that allows you to change the gear setting which will change the shift point based on the gearing you enter.
This is half true....if you change the gear ratio setting with out actually re gearing your screwed. If you regear then change the ratio setting on the procal to match it will make your tranny shift at the correct speed/RPM . You still have no real control over your shift points.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts