Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched to a 8.8, and after connecting the driveline to the flange, the driveline is compressed all the way. Is this okay? Other information: it has a slip yoke eliminator and Jeep is still jacked up off the ground. I think I should have about 3 inches of travel in or out to allow diff to go up & down, but that means shortening the driveline. Does that sound correct?

·
Registered
458 Posts
yeah, it sounds to me like your driveshaft is a bit too long. Take the jeep past a driveline shop and see what they think though

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I was worried it would do something to the transfer case if I tried to drive it. So if the shaft is compressed all the way, do you think cutting it down 3 inches would give me enough play in & out? Or should I just take the measurement from yoke to flange and take driveline in?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
any measurement you take should be with the full weight of the jeep sitting on the axle..I am not sure what the experts say but if it were mine and had a 6 inch slip area I would probably have it so that it could still compress about 1 1/2 inches when sitting normal..that way when the axle drops lower it will still have plenty of splines with contact..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I thought I would lift vehicle with jack under diff and measure it. It makes sense to not go to far so I can have as much spline attached. Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts