Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a 15 Sport with Uconnect130. If I wanted to upgrade the radio with the factory nav, can it be done 'easily?' I think there is a 430n and 730n factory system so I'm not sure about each.

If I cannot upgrade, any recommendations on an aftermarket unit? Also, one that could integrate with all of the steering wheel controls?

Thanks in advance,

CJ

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Mine came with the 130 also. I wanted the nav unit as well. I called and they said it would be about 2100 bucks to upgrade. So YES it can be done. However, I baught a system from Sonic Electronix online for 800 and installed that myself.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine came with the 130 also. I wanted the nav unit as well. I called and they said it would be about 2100 bucks to upgrade. So YES it can be done. However, I baught a system from Sonic Electronix online for 800 and installed that myself.
I wonder how much of that $2,100 is in labor? Also, if the unit is a direct fit (i.e. plug-n-play)?

They have both the 430n and 730n units online for $400-$800.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have no idea. I opted for aftermarket. Onlything I don't like about my JVC/Kenwood unit is the routing is kinda weird at times.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea. I opted for aftermarket. Onlything I don't like about my JVC/Kenwood unit is the routing is kinda weird at times.
Hmm, odd they told you one thing and me another. I just called the local dealership and the parts department said that Chrysler does not allow adding the factory navigation unit because they are all VIN coded these days and it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Did you ask if it was 730 vs 430? They told me that they CAN add the 430, but NOT the 730. Of course maybe it's because mine is a 2013.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you ask if it was 730 vs 430? They told me that they CAN add the 430, but NOT the 730. Of course maybe it's because mine is a 2013.
I asked if they could do either and they said no. I'm not sure I believe that 100% though. I mean what happens if you need to replace one...especially after it's out of warranty?

Also, I see them on eBay and people are providing VIN/activation codes with them. Maybe some else can chime in that tried the switch.

·
Super Moderator
9,114 Posts
I added OEM navi to my 2008 JK.

Found it on eBay, new, for $900.

It literally was plug and play. You just need to make sure it fits correct Wrangler model year.

Good luck,

Aldo

·
Registered
87 Posts
If ur 130 has Uconnect and Sirius, adding a 430 or 430N (nav) is plug and play. Just make sure the unit you buy has the correct mounting hole configuration and is high speed (there are both low and high speed units). I replaced the 130 in my Jeep with a 430N a few years back. Took all of 15 minutes to remove the dash cover (info can be found on the site), remove the 130 and install the 430N. Then all u need to do is call Sirius and change radios on your subscription. Also, some of the newer radio's need a special code for thief prevention. If you buy one of these, make sure you get the code from the seller. You can find these units on Amazon, E bay, and online vendors like OEM Auto Parts.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If ur 130 has Uconnect and Sirius, adding a 430 or 430N (nav) is plug and play. Just make sure the unit you buy has the correct mounting hole configuration and is high speed (there are both low and high speed units). I replaced the 130 in my Jeep with a 430N a few years back. Took all of 15 minutes to remove the dash cover (info can be found on the site), remove the 130 and install the 430N. Then all u need to do is call Sirius and change radios on your subscription. Also, some of the newer radio's need a special code for thief prevention. If you buy one of these, make sure you get the code from the seller. You can find these units on Amazon, E bay, and online vendors like OEM Auto Parts.
That makes more sense. Do you know if this would work on the 2015 Wranglers as well? Some sellers on ebay have an activation code and a VIN number to use. Will I need both?

Just don't want to drop that kind of $ if Chrysler changed something in the newer models.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An RHB radio as far back as 2012 will work in your vehicle and will be a direct PnP install. The only thing is that you need to make sure that you're getting a High Speed CAN BUS radio. Also if it's a later model than 2015, there are SW updates online for the radio. You'll only need the security code for the radio because it's a VIN learned security item. SO when you plug it into your vehicle, turn the key on the radio will see your VIN# sent from the cluster and compare it to the VIN that is stored in it's memory. It'll see that they are different and the radio will not power up. With the security code entered, it will now overwrite the old VIN with yours and now the radio will work.
If you purchase a radio that doesn't have the security code, that's also no problem. Take your purchase receipt and vehicle to the dealer,they'll make a call and will be able to get the security code and also enter your VIN into their computer system so that if you ever lose the code, it'll be easily retrieved.

There's a member on this forum that has an RHB for sale:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f14/uconnect-430n-rhb-like-new-1236769.html
This is very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to explain!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, what's the difference between a 430n/RHR and a 430n/RHB?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The RHR is not a 430N it is a 730N. Differnt NAV and built-in bluetooth integration.
OK must have been a typo on the one for sale online. I think the 430n allows streaming music via Bluetooth while the 730n does not.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
They will both stream music. The 430N has a separate bluetooth module that is behind the dash. The 730N has the bluetooth module built in. I have both and can tell you, that and the fact that the NAV software on the 430N is Garmin and Navteq on the 730N.

Graphics are different.

Bob K.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An RHB radio as far back as 2012 will work in your vehicle and will be a direct PnP install. The only thing is that you need to make sure that you're getting a High Speed CAN BUS radio.
Last question (I think)...how can I tell of its a high speed CAN BUS radio for certain? Do they make 430n models that are not?

·
Modern Day Warrior
1,053 Posts
I just did this last week. Bought my '15 JKUWW with the 130 and upgraded to the 430N. I bought it on eBay from a guy that said it was out of a 2015 Rubicon. As stated, it was literally a plug and play deal. The seller didn't know about the security code issue, but once I explained to him he went to his dealer and got me the code. Works perfectly.
My only wish is that the speakers sounded better....but that's a whole other thread.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just did this last week. Bought my '15 JKUWW with the 130 and upgraded to the 430N. I bought it on eBay from a guy that said it was out of a 2015 Rubicon. As stated, it was literally a plug and play deal. The seller didn't know about the security code issue, but once I explained to him he went to his dealer and got me the code. Works perfectly. My only wish is that the speakers sounded better....but that's a whole other thread.
Great to hear it was an easy swap! Sounds like you and I are on the same wavelength meaning I don't like the sound of my speakers (I did not get the Alpine upgrade). Gonna upgrade the speakers next as well. Not sure what yet but maybe I'll follow your thread lol

·
Modern Day Warrior
1,053 Posts
Great to hear it was an easy swap! Sounds like you and I are on the same wavelength meaning I don't like the sound of my speakers (I did not get the Alpine upgrade). Gonna upgrade the speakers next as well. Not sure what yet but maybe I'll follow your thread lol
Don't get your hopes up any time soon...LOL I just spent my $$$ on the 430N itself so the speakers will have to wait.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What's the difference between Hi speed and Low speed in the 430n RHB? Will only the high speed work in a 2015?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts