Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if that's the right way to ask for what I want

This is my AC panel

Electronics Vehicle Car Technology Vehicle audio

I understand my AC is not from factory

As you can see I can get air up or down but I can't get it both at the same time for example

Is there a way that can be modified? So I can have a different setup?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Funny you ask because I was wondering the same thing as my face AND feet were cold at the same time omw to work this morning. My HVAC is stock. Anyone know how to do the same with the stock system as well?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Your AC should be factory. My controls look exactly like that. I also have a 98 4.0 with factory air. If you use the defrost setting with foot and do not change the temp setting to hot you will get AC @ your feet and "face". Face part will come off the windshield.

If you keep temp at cold and use defrogger it will run off your AC comperssor to clear the windshield when it becomes fogged up alot faster.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Funny you ask because I was wondering the same thing as my face AND feet were cold at the same time omw to work this morning. My HVAC is stock. Anyone know how to do the same with the stock system as well?
Same as my above reply but change your temp setting to hot....If you are not getting hot air from defrogger or out the regular vents your blend door may be broken or you might even need to flush out your heater core.

I just did mine after a year of it being bypassed and now I have killer heat and defrost again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Diverdown87 said:
Same as my above reply but change your temp setting to hot....If you are not getting hot air from defrogger or out the regular vents your blend door may be broken or you might even need to flush out your heater core.

I just did mine after a year of it being bypassed and now I have killer heat and defrost again.
I may feel like an idiot for asking this but, I have stock a/c. The setting for head and feet has a snow flake. If I turn it to that setting and the other to red for heat, will my a/c compressor or whatever does the cold air be on or only the heater?

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Yes, the compressor will be on. That is what clears the windshield/windows, not the heat. The compressor removes moisture from inside the cabin.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The compressor (or at least the process it drives) removes moisture from the cabin, however that condensation on the windshield (or windows, or rear window) is due to the windshield being cold (below the dewpoint of the air) so you could probably defrost the windshield with your AC running full blast but its likely because its so cold that the "cold" AC air is actually warmer than the glass temperature. This principle is why rear defrosters, with electrical elements running through the window itself work. They raise the temperature of the galss above the dew point and either evaporate, or melt the fog or frost.

This is pretty off topic however and my AC controls section doesn't look like that and it has an option for head and feet-which i never use because my floorboards get warm on their own... haha. Plus i live in Texas and the winter is basically 2 weeks sometime between december and february and it changes every year.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I may feel like an idiot for asking this but, I have stock a/c. The setting for head and feet has a snow flake. If I turn it to that setting and the other to red for heat, will my a/c compressor or whatever does the cold air be on or only the heater?
Does your controls look like the one pictured in the OP message? Sound to me like you have a newer model TJ (03-06).
What year is your Jeep?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2001, 4.0, 5 speed. My controls are different. I have three dials, one for force of air out of vents on left, temp (blue to red dial) in the middle I think, and the direction on the right(goes from a white circle which is off, three settings with a snow flake; head, feet, and head and feet; which I assume means the a/c, and then four settings from head, feet, feet and defrost, and defrost). I never realized I had the head and feet with the snow flake. Does that setting when the middle is turned to heat use "hot a/c"? (which just feels warmer than the cold winter out side temp). Or does it use the same heat that I feel when I use the other settings that don't have the snow flake?
I can post a picture latter if that is too confusing

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your AC should be factory. My controls look exactly like that. I also have a 98 4.0 with factory air. If you use the defrost setting with foot and do not change the temp setting to hot you will get AC @ your feet and "face". Face part will come off the windshield.

If you keep temp at cold and use defrogger it will run off your AC comperssor to clear the windshield when it becomes fogged up alot faster.

Problem is that leaving in a Country where temp is over 100F and sunny all the time, air coming from the windshield is not enough.. That's why I would like to make it as any other car where you can get cold air from the floor and from the dash panels..

do you think there's a way to modify it?

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
It's possible that you could find a happy medium between the floor setting and the vent setting. At worst, it won't work, won't cost anything to try.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
lindel said:
It's possible that you could find a happy medium between the floor setting and the vent setting. At worst, it won't work, won't cost anything to try.
Dont work I have tried it

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
Sorry to tell you Dave - you don't have air-con.

This is what the HVAC panel on a '97/'98 TJ looks like WITH air-con.

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts

View attachment 178500

He is correct. You do not have AC..I totally missed that. :facepalm:

Good eye Wesboy! :punk:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

That's why I said it I thought it didn't come with AC from factory.. but it has AC, someone placed it .. I have an AC button, I guess they didn't have to change the panel ...

that's why I thought perhaps factory AC setup was different and you had the option to use floor and upper vents.. but seen the picture, there's no way..

it's weird that Jeeps dont have the option since pretty much all other cars have it.. makes no sense to me..

I still love my Jeep but I wish I could get some fresh air on my feet and face at the same time lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts