Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I confused on what to do here... I've removed all the pinion depth shims except the slinger which is 0.032" and my back lash is 0.007" and it looks to me like the pinion is still too deep. At the same time, the contact is pretty high on the tooth so I'm obviously doing something wrong...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems I forgot the photos.... Oops!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
In the first picture it appears your pinion is way to shallow. I'd add 10 thou and see where it puts you.

The second pic is very difficult to see with the lighting coming off of the side and the little bit of blurriness. Can't even see pattern marks on the drive side....wait maybe....the lighting is so bad that shadows make it hard to see what is what.

The whole idea of adding a big jump is to see actual movement. Once you know you are to deep, then you can back it out...called bracketing. If you just make small incremental changes then you won't know exactly where you're at.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I removed 0.010' before this one and didn't really get any change.

I'll add 20 thou back and see where that puts me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New patterns. Unless you see something I don't (very possible) I'm going to run this.

BL: .0055" a bit on the tight side, barely.
Pinion Depth: 0.032 Oil Slinger + .018" shim = .040"

coast:

Drive:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Certainly a lot better than your other one. I would open that backlash up just a bit...get closer to .008. I also tell everyone to check just more than a couple teeth. It's easy while you have it like it is, but it will be difficult once it's under the rig and howling.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that a low pinion Dana 30 in your photo?

I ask because your ring gear is cut the reverse of mine... You're making me wan t to go check again that I have the correct gear!

Also, opened backlash up to 0.0075 and there was no change in the pattern that I could really tell.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So.... Any suggestions on installing the outer pinion bearing?

Stripped the threads on the nut at around 275ft-lbs and still hadn't started crushing the crush sleeve.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
So.... Any suggestions on installing the outer pinion bearing?

Stripped the threads on the nut at around 275ft-lbs and still hadn't started crushing the crush sleeve.
Well that sucks! Just pinion nut threads or did you chew up the pinion threads too? If it's the pinion threads, you're looking at a new gear set unfortunately. If it's just the pinion nut, then get a new nut. Just out of curiosity, what brand of gears?

A pinion nut is a one time use nut. The threads bite into the pinion which lock it in. So when you are setting up gears, I use a temporary nut where I dremel down the sharp threads so I can zip it on to get my work done. You don't have to crank the nut on to torque spec every time when checking pinion depth, preload (shim based), etc. Once I am ready for final assembly I switch to a new nut which I torque to spec.

In your case, a cheater bar is a huge help for a crush sleeve to get it to start crushing.

HTH and keep us posted.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This was the first use of the new nut, I'd been using the old nut for setup. Pinion threads are fine thankfully. I've got to order a new nut though, don't know offer anywhere local that carries one.

The gears/kit is boxed Rough Country and they told me the gears are Motive which is why I used them. I have no idea how to verify that is true.

This has also been par for the course with the D30 setup kit they sent. Complete POS.

The ring gear bolts stripped threads at 50 ft-lb so I bought grade 8 replacements and everything was fine. The boxed bolts weren't grade marked.

Then the pinion shims were the wrong size, not fitting behind the race or the bearing so I bought Yukon shims.

The bearings had no markings except the size so I scrapped those and bought local branded ones.

This has been a nightmare. I should've taken Rockridge4wd up on their offer of the Nitro gear package for a few bucks more...

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Sorry to hear... you usually get what you pay for. I bought my pinion nut from Napa... They run about $6. And I sure hope your gears don't go like the rest of your other parts...

And one of my favorite quotes:

"Experience is what you get just after you needed it "

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My NAPA says they can't get it, dealer part... Oreilly's can get it, but I went ahead and just ordered a Yukon nut off Amazon, have it tomorrow.

The washer also was junk, non-graded crap and deformed beautifully into the yoke splines...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More help requested...

Working on the rear axle now, Dana 35.

Factory shim was 0.046", I'm at 0.085" now and I started at 0.046" and I haven't see any change...

I've maintained backlash between .008 & .006, the photos below are .006", and the photos are still making me think the pinion is too shallow... Is that right??

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I'm becoming concerned the ring & pinion aren't matched... The Ring gear has a 211 match number and the pinion has 112 but the 2 is etched over a possible 0 which has me concerned. Until now I'd just written the '0' off to sloppy handwriting.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
That definitely looks shallow.

What did you change or add? What's the reason for the regear?

I'd make a big change and see if it takes you too deep.

Not sure about the numbers, I'm on my phone right now and can't see it that good. I'd this a new set of gears or are you setting up old stuff?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
New set of gears coming from 3.07s. This is a new locker for the 4.56 to get around the carrier break. I'm regearing to run 33's at more appropriate rpms.

I started the pinion shims at .045 (factory depth -1) and I've added in increments of .010 to get to .085 and haven't gotten the pattern any deeper. It has shifted a little away from the heel on the drive side and away from the toe on the coast.

I've kept the backlash between .008 & .006 for every test with good preload on both the carrier and pinion.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll add, the ring gear is difficult to turn with the pinion shimmed 0.085 and BL @ .006" but it could be a bit excessive preload this time since I didn't measure beyond feel.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts