Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2012 JKU, we’ve owned it 2 years and now it’s time for new tires. It currently has LT305/70R18 tires on it. These 35’s are more aggressive than we need, we don’t go mudding. We certainly don’t want an all season tire, as we like some noise in the tires and an aggressive tread looks good as well as can work good in the snow. Can i get some recommendations or a direction to go in? It seems to be the wild Wild West out there.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
although an A/T tire...... I always think BFG A/T’s (KO something?) look great, and they seem fairly aggressive for an All Terrain

The tires you have don’t really scream “aggressive”. I would go BFG M/T’s

That decal is aggressive.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Toyo atiii. Fairly aggressive A/T, noisier than some at, 3pmsf rated for "severe snow service".

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
I personally run Terra Grapplers and really like them. I would say for a more aggressive look you may want to look at Falken Wildpeak AT3/W.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tires are the wild wild west for sure. After much deliberation I replaced my stock BFG KM M/T with BFG KO2.
Quite frankly, I was tired of fighting the M/Ts down the road, especially as they wore down. As mentioned above, Toyo and Falken both have great options in A/T tires. I opted for the KO2 because it's a C load range tire. My needs for my Jeep don't require much off-roading and I never air down.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
You won't hate them. I ran ko2s for 2.5 years, 2 years and 60k miles on my last set doing 4 tire rotations every 7-8k miles. 5 tire rotation will get you more miles, maybe 70k on the set.
Excellent in the snow sleet and slush, wet roads and dry. Good offroad, never had to get in deep mud though. They were to be my new ones too but long back order for my size where I buy them so went with the Toyo ATiii.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Cooper ST Max may suit your needs.
I noticed your current tires are E rated. Not necessary for a Jeep.

I run the BFG KO2 mainly because of availability for when I needed tires.

·
Premium Member
7,146 Posts
Tires are the wild wild west for sure. After much deliberation I replaced my stock BFG KM M/T with BFG KO2.
Quite frankly, I was tired of fighting the M/Ts down the road, especially as they wore down. As mentioned above, Toyo and Falken both have great options in A/T tires. I opted for the KO2 because it's a C load range tire. My needs for my Jeep don't require much off-roading and I never air down.
The Chief came with the KMs on Recon wheels (silver instead of gray). I go tired of the increasing on road noise as they wore and wanted to replace them with Duratracs in LT285/70R17, but at the time they were unavailabe, so I also went with the KO2s. While I am still under 2000 miles on them, I am extremely pleased with them. They are as quiet as the Duratracs on my TJ.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I'm a huge Toyo/Nitto fan. I believe they are currently producing the highest quality tires available. It sounds like the Toyo Open Country AT or the Nitto Terra Grappler would suit your needs the best. If you want something that looks more aggressive, consider the Nitto Ridge Grappler or Toyo Open Country RT. Both are hybrid AT/MT tires.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies so far, we don’t off road much, however we have liked these tires. I can relate fighting these tires as they wore. But we like the noise ;) so a much quieter tire will be boring for us. We can go a little softer but not all season quiet lol.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
The BFG KO2 will be too quiet for your liking.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Thanks for all the replies so far, we don’t off road much, however we have liked these tires. I can relate fighting these tires as they wore. But we like the noise ;) so a much quieter tire will be boring for us. We can go a little softer but not all season quiet lol.
While all terrain is not the same as all season, for a decent looking aggressive tire you could look at the General Grabber X3. Looks like a bfg km with proper siping. I would bet they sing a clear baritone on the road.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Falken Wildpeak AT3 comes in a 305/65-18. A bit shorter (about 1" diameter,, lowering the ride by 1/2"), but they are 3 Mountain Peak Snowflake rated, somewhat aggressive and wear evenly. I've been running a smaller size through a full winter and summer in NE and they have been one of the better tires I've driven on.

Link: https://simpletire.com/falken-lt305-65r18-28037122-tires

I've never ordered from Simpletire, just the first place I found with pictures and sizes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You may consider the Nitto Ridge Grappler. They have a great aggressive look and are a good compromise between AT and MT tires. They still may not be as noisy as you want though. Generally though, it seems like you want something that simply doesn't exist because your desired features (noisy, aggressive but not too aggressive...whatever that means, and good in snow). No mud terrain is going to be great in snow but will give you the noise. No tire decent is snow is going to be all that noisy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You may consider the Nitto Ridge Grappler. They have a great aggressive look and are a good compromise between AT and MT tires. They still may not be as noisy as you want though. Generally though, it seems like you want something that simply doesn't exist because your desired features (noisy, aggressive but not too aggressive...whatever that means, and good in snow). No mud terrain is going to be great in snow but will give you the noise. No tire decent is snow is going to be all that noisy.
I agree we had to make sacrifices somewhere. Seeing as we ran the last tires about 35
k miles since we had the jeep we decided against the mud tires this time. We went with Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX. Due to availability and overall rating. With winter close around the corner and being in the north east snow rating is important. While certainly a quieter tire, time will tell on performance. the side lugs on mud tires give a wider appearance although with a 305 70r18 tire is still a decent size tire. And with the gearing this Jeep has and the 3.6 it has no problem moving those tires. Also I thought fighting tires can’t be good on the suspension as time progresses.
Thanks for all the guidance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm a huge Toyo/Nitto fan. I believe they are currently producing the highest quality tires available. It sounds like the Toyo Open Country AT or the Nitto Terra Grappler would suit your needs the best. If you want something that looks more aggressive, consider the Nitto Ridge Grappler or Toyo Open Country RT. Both are hybrid AT/MT tires.
our two choice tire shops couldn’t get the Nitto tires, I could’ve ordered them but we had a short window to get this done and we had waited too long. The current tires had began to cup really bad. If the coopers don’t suit our needs I will certainly look into the nitto tires.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Always been a fan of the Goodyear Duratracs. Great wear in the heat of Oklahoma and the snow of Wisconsin too. Weather rated, long wearing (last set got 65k+), good price, low road noise, and even wear. They do have what some consider as weaker sidewalls - so sharp rock climbing would be something to be careful with. You can also stud them for winter use too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts