Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the rant, but I just need to blow off some steam by typing.

Went over to a buddys house to swap my 33s for his 35s. I got 3 out of the 4 35s on my jeep, up until the last one. We get to the 4th tire and LAST lug nut, and bam, my special key for the lug nuts breaks because of too much force. No problems yet, since we have a second one for the same lugs.... until we break that one as well. So, Im sitting on three 35s and one 33 in his drive way, and i cant get this dam 33 off.

I try and use a socket around the lug nut and big mistake, not only did I bend the wheel stud a little, but the socket got stuck on this lug nut that just wont come off.

Decide to drive to an auto store in stroudsburg, pa even though I truly thought that they would not have had the gorilla key that I would need to take the last lug off. Not only did they have the key that I was looking for ( and actually a decent supply of aftermarket jeep stuff) but they were about to close literally 2 minutes after we walk in there.

Okay, so I got the key to take the lug off, but the socket is still stuck. Had a tow truck dude come and somehow get the socket off within two minutes; Im not that mechanically inclined and have no idea how he did it. Pretty sure he tighten the socket to the right and then somehow ripped it right off. After that we were all good and he got the last tire off for me.

Just gotta throw my quick hectic day on here. My 35s look a lot nicer on my 2 door and I honestly didnt notice any power loss or drivability difference going from 33 DTs to 35 km2s, although it was only an hour ride on the highway. Will post pics when I steal the girlfriends camera.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
I'd have been in tears.... :facepalm: and then laughing so hard I'd probably pee my pants... :rofl: then back to the tears again

So glad it all worked out without a broken wheel lug or ?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tow truck dude some how got the stud that was giving me problems to work the way it should. I can usually keep my cool with certain things, but today I was pissed. The whole day was one of those, you had to be there days. Not to mention it had to start raining halfway through.

All in all it worked out, its a love hate relationship with the jeep. I dont know if the guys that did my tire rotation torqued the lugs to 100 lbs. or if they just air guned the crap out of em.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Glad it all worked out for ya I prob woulda broke out the torches and sledge hammer I have no patience for stuff like that lol

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I would have been pissed too, sounds like it ended well, glad it did, look forward to pics.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have been pissed too, sounds like it ended well, glad it did, look forward to pics.
It ended well... but a whole lotta swearing up and down the entire day. I thought I was going to have to tow to a shop an hour away from where I was. It will be one of those things that I look back on and laugh about, although I wasnt thinking like that today.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Yeah, that sucks. Glad you got it worked out!

Btw, PICS or it didn't happen!! :whistling:

Does remind me somewhat of my switch to 35's about a month ago. Not the same situation, but left me driving on 1 33" for over a week:

Got 4 X GY MTR/K's. Decided at the time to get the spare later because of other mod priorities and didn't want to get a new carrier right away.

Got them mounted fine. Drove home. Then to work the next morning. So close to lunch time, a co-worker is heading to lunch and comes back: "Did you get new tires? Well one of them is flat!" Note that although he's a nice guy, gives me $hit for all the money I spend on my Jeep.

So it was a defect in one of the tires. No hassle replacing it, but yeah, I had to drive around on one of my old 33's for over a week. Stressed me out because this was to prepare for a wheeling trip and I wasn't sure I would get the replacement in time. I did get it in time, but of course, got sick the day before the trip and couldn't go anyway.

After the frustration, I sucked it up and bought the 5th wheel + a cheap tire carrier (Smitty).

It really sucks when you're looking forward to something and it starts to fall apart. Especially wheels since they are one of the most important things to keeping you on the road.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looking back now you can laugh about it; funny story. I'd suggest applying anti-seize compound to your wheel studs lest this happens again.

·
Registered
694 Posts
You got lucky, I have had to work on vehicles that have frozen lugnuts. Typically I just get a long breaker bar and tighten it until it shears. It's very simple, then pop in a new stud. Now they make a special pin key that will remove all lug nuts and all types of wheel locks. Next time your in a bind, pick one up. There are like $10. I have Gorilla studs too, I am always sure to tell the employees at Discount tire to NOT use a impact to remove them, or put them on. I even stand there to remind them. It will break the key easily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts