Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I am gonna try to explain this best I can. Hopefully everyone can understand me and perhaps I can get some guidence.

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK with an aftermarket soft top. It uses this plastic clipping system that has broken. See Image below text. I noticed that the new 2014 wranglers no longer use this stupid clipping system on the soft top and their door surround system has been updated. What I want to know is if I replaced the door surrounds to the more updated 2014 surrounds, could I get a 2014 soft top on my jeep. The new premium tops are really top notch and better than the aftermarket stuff I have seen. They are this super soft fabric and are super thick and quiet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I am thinking too. It's just none of the aftermarket soft tops really seem to match the quality I saw on my friends new 2014. Its like jeep really stepped up their game with the new soft top.

·
Registered
411 Posts
All OEM tops will fit the older JK's. Just get all the parts as the windows and door surrounds changed over time. The problem you have is part of why I also changed to a newer top. You will find it so much faster to open and close too. If you can get a premium top at a good price buy it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All OEM tops will fit the older JK's. Just get all the parts as the windows and door surrounds changed over time. The problem you have is part of why I also changed to a newer top. You will find it so much faster to open and close too. If you can get a premium top at a good price buy it.
Thanks for the info I wont need to replace the frame right? Just the door surrounds so the new windows can mate properly and the top sits correctly above the doors.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks for the info I wont need to replace the frame right? Just the door surrounds so the new windows can mate properly and the top sits correctly above the doors.
Wait,, I don't think you will be able to just get the door surrounds and newer style cloth to put on your frame. You can get a replacement top for your "style" or purchase everything for the new "style" at that point you could buy just the material/windows for that "style".

·
Registered
588 Posts
Unless you want to purchase the items needed separately. I just don't think you'll find it boxed and packaged like your looking for.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Most people selling soft tops already have them mounted on the frame. If not you may find one still boxed from the dealer. The only crucial part is that that top styles match. '07 - '09 soft tops are different from the 2011 year that I have. 2014 tops may have changed slightly since then due to the newer spring assist mechanisms. Just get all the parts and you will be fine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 07 JKU and purchased a soft top off of a 2012. It was brand new never installed still in the box with all the mounting hardware. It fit in the 07 with 0 issues

1 - 10 of 10 Posts