Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any negative consequences to replacing my 18" wheels on our 2012 Sahara Unlimited with 16 or 17s

·
Registered
176 Posts
Are you going smaller wheel for bigger tire?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know. We want to switch to the black wheels that come with the Call of Duty or something similiar. Not being built for off road. My wife drives it on the highway to work 50 miles every day.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You should have no problem. I had a 2010 Sahara, with the 18" wheels. Now I have the new Arctic, which is basically the Sahara edition, with Rubicon suspension, and CoD/Rubicon wheels & tires. My wheels are black, I think the CoD are dark grey,,, but basically the same wheels. My Arctic/Sahara runs great on 17" wheels with 32" LT255/75 R17 tires. You should be able to switch, no problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, thats exactly what we want. Does it affect the gas mileage or speedomotor?

·
Registered
120 Posts
The Rubicon tires on the Arctic do not seem to roll as easy as the Bridgestones on the Sahara. That probably lowers the gas mileage. If I remember, my Sahara tires were also 32" on the 18" rims, so my guess is that the affect on the speedometer should be negligible, if there is any affect at all.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks, thats exactly what we want. Does it affect the gas mileage or speedomotor?
If you are going from the factory size 255/70/18 on 18" wheel to the factory size of 255/75/17 on 17" wheel then your speedometer should really not be effected. according to the tire calculator on discount tire website the difference in circumference is .02 and says that at 65mph you would be going 65.01mph with the 17" wheels.

I believe they chose these sizes for factory so they could just calibrate one speedo gear and not matter which tires/wheels they put on at the factory.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I'm going through this same calculation for my 2012 Sahara JKU. After investigating different tire sizes and wheel choices ad nauseum, I think I'm going back to reversing the OEM OWL Bridgestone Duelers black-side-out, powder-coating the factory wheels for $140 a pop -- then forgetting about it until the tires wear out! My head hurts.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This help is perfect. I have found a set of 5 Arctic wheels and tires and should have them on our Sahara by month's end. Thanks everyone!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had my 18" powder coated for $86 each. Came out great!

I'm going through this same calculation for my 2012 Sahara JKU. After investigating different tire sizes and wheel choices ad nauseum, I think I'm going back to reversing the OEM OWL Bridgestone Duelers black-side-out, powder-coating the factory wheels for $140 a pop -- then forgetting about it until the tires wear out! My head hurts.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I had my 18" powder coated for $86 each. Came out great!
$86?! Maybe I better shop around. Prince Wheel, a big shop in Charlotte, wants $140 a wheel. Can you post a close-up pic of one of your wheels?

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
A change in wheels will NOT hurt your gas millage or speedometer. However a change in tire size can effect those things. Most people typically ditch the 18's as soon as it is reasonable to do so as the cost of tires of a 18in rim is stupid high compaired to the same tires for a 17 inch or smaller rim no. It also applies to airring down purposes but since your jeep is DD only that really doesn't apply to you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts