Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 93 yj with SOA lift and 33s I wanna go with 35s but I was told I can't run 35s on stock axles off road I also have a slip yoke eliminator and Tom wood drive shaft? Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
563 Posts
The front axle is a dana 30. People have have ran 35's or even 37's on these without issues. That being with upgraded shafts usually and most will truss it pretty well.

The rear axle is a dana 35 and thats the weak link. The dana 35 is notorious for being a ticking time bomb especially on 35's. There's been many people on here that have even broken dana 35's with 33 inch tires. You can build up your dana 35 for a lot of money, but it will still be a dana 35.

Usually the most cost effective way to go is to swap a ford 8.8 rear axle out of an explorer. This axle is stronger than a dana 44 and almost as strong as a dana 60. They can be found at salvage yards for usually $150-500. Plus they can have disc brakes.

·
Registered
563 Posts
You'll have to move the spring perches and maybe the shock mounts on the axle. Most recommend you weld the tubes at the carrier. Just because that's one weaker point of an 8.8.

If you can do the welding yourself it shouldn't be a big deal. Just definitely do some research because the 8.8 came in three different gear ratios, with or without LSD, and with or without disc brakes.

The gear ratio means you'll likely have to regear or swap the front axle. Most people try to get 4.10 geared 8.8's because then you can swap the front axle for a dana 35 from a 4cyl (also 4.10 gears)

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have 36in swappers I'm going to run, front dana 30 with Cherokee axle shafts, I went with those just to do away with the CAD. Rear is a 8.8, you can find them for cheap. Mine has rear disc and 4.10 but its open carrier. Usually 200-300 is a fair price but often times you can get them for less than that. What I've been told by friends who wheel their stuff hard is that the 30 wheel hold up till I put a locker in it then still if you mind the throttle it should hold "okay". Chromoly shafts can be bought for 500-600 which will make it quite tough to break, but it can still be done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts