Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going camping in a few weeks and I want to buy a $30 tent. Well, not really, I want to sleep in my jeep for less than that if possible. I know I can BUY a hammock and hang it inside the jeep, and I have seen one guy build a bed, but he had to take out all his extra seats.
Is there anything cost effective I can do to sleep somewhat comfortablly for one night, maybe 2 - 3 times a year?
My restrictions are:
1. money, a decent tent is about $30, my goal is much less.
2. space, I want to leave in my passenger seat, but the rear one can go out if I need to.
3.Time, I want something easy to put together, with minimal storage
4. comfort, I could sleep on the ground if I wanted to be uncomfortable.

Let me know your ideas, I'm gonna go get in my 1997 TJ and see how I fit in different positions.

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
Even with the rear seat removed, unless you sleep in the fetal position there is not much room to stretch out... I doubt if you will be "comfortable" sleeping in the jeep, but for one night couldn't you just recline the seat and make do?

BTW where in N Alabama are you? I grew up in Florence.

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
Even with the rear seat removed, unless you sleep in the fetal position there is not much room to stretch out...
Some of us stretch out no problem :D and if you can't just open up the tailgate and hang your feet out. It's one night, I don't see why you can't just lay the front seat back and sleep there. I've found it pretty comfy.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
If you're under 4 feet tall I think you could sleep in the back just fine. However, why not just recline the front seat and make due? It wouldn't be the best option but it can be done. Beats the hell out of curling up in the cargo area. Besides, wouldn't the cargo area be full of stuff anyway?

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
Get yourself a 10x10 tarp and an air mattress. The tarp can be used for all sorts of things, (great sunshade when stretched between 2 jeeps) including a shelter. It shouldn't cost more than $30 for both and they roll up small enough, they shouldn't take up much room.

Here is an example of a shelter you can set up in just a few minutes. I used a tarp, rope, a stick, and some rocks. The stick could be replaced by a hi-lift jack and you could use some of your gear instead of rocks. You could even replace the rope with tow straps or bungie cords.

The front flaps can be closed to keep out weather.

Fold the tarp in half, weight down the back and side edges and prop up the center front, the top layer only, and you have a shelter with a floor. Inflate your air mattress and you're off the ground.

Not fancy but you'd have room to stretch out and stay out of the weather.

Personally, I'd just recline the front seat but, I'm one of those short people that can stretch out that way. :D

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
What Amy is not telling you is that she and Skeeter slept in the camper just out of frame and made their poor children sleep under a tarp.

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
Shhhhh, Tiny. Ya blabber mouth!

Nah, Skeeter wasn't on that trip and, I wish we had a camper! :p

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
the tarp is what i was thinkin, i would just build a "table with 2 legs on one end and the other side of the "table" goes a couple inches into the back of the jeep. then put an airmattress down in the back of the jeep and onto the "table". take four posts and a tarp big enough to cover your entire sleeping area. . and viola, your good to go

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I am going camping in a few weeks and I want to buy a $30 tent. Well, not really, I want to sleep in my jeep for less than that if possible. I know I can BUY a hammock and hang it inside the jeep, and I have seen one guy build a bed, but he had to take out all his extra seats.
Is there anything cost effective I can do to sleep somewhat comfortablly for one night, maybe 2 - 3 times a year?
My restrictions are:
1. money, a decent tent is about $30, my goal is much less.
2. space, I want to leave in my passenger seat, but the rear one can go out if I need to.
3.Time, I want something easy to put together, with minimal storage
4. comfort, I could sleep on the ground if I wanted to be uncomfortable.

Let me know your ideas, I'm gonna go get in my 1997 TJ and see how I fit in different positions.

Push the front seats up toward the dashboard as far as they will go. Flip the front passenger seat up and forward. Stack some stuff, like crates or something, in the foot wells of the back seat so that it is almost even with the rear seat. Then cover that with a folded sleeping bag or something soft. Lay on your side and throw your feet up on the front passenger seat or something. Experiement with this. Would be pretty much free to do.

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
I am going camping in a few weeks
Your idea of "camping" must be different than mine. Are you going to build a fire on your console? :eek:

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
I'm starting to think some people here are actually living in their Jeep.. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
Tough it out and recline, the front seat, or spend the $30 on a tent... Or go out and buy a pontiac Aztec with the pop out tent kits:D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm starting to think some people here are actually living in their Jeep.. :eek: :rolleyes: :D
Some people just like to be comfortable. :flipoff: heh heh :)

comfortable....AND frugal. ;)

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Some people just like to be comfortable. :flipoff: heh heh :)

comfortable....AND frugal. ;)
Hmmm....I'll donate the tent so you guys don't have to sleep in your cars. Just PM me your address. :D

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
A tarp is cheaper, Sheriff Bipod. ;)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Hmmm....I'll donate the tent so you guys don't have to sleep in your cars. Just PM me your address. :D
Do you have any with the screened in porch? Hot tub?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I keep two shelter halves, six poles, the ropes and stakes that go with 'em in my jeep al the time. The military people know what I mean. You can get that stuff extremely cheap and you really can't beat it as a one or two person tent.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts