Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys me and my buddy are going to be taking a few trips to rausch creek this year, just to play it safe we were thinking of towing a trailer we could load my jeep on to bring back in case it's breaks down. Now if his truck bites the dust there can I safely tow a ram 1500 for about 2-3 hours just to get him home, I have 3.21 now but will hopefully be up to 4.56 by the time I go. I feel it be compleatly unsafe but I never towed anything with my jeep so I don't know

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
If you do that you will well exceed the towing capacity of your JEEP. I wouldn't do it, not only because of the strain on the transmission, but you would have a hard time stopping safely. Unfortunately, there is no footnote in the owners manual that increases towing capacity or breaking ability in an emergency

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sounds like you are makn a jeep tough commercial lol. Towing somthing that is longer and heavier then the tow vehicle can end up on the front page of the local paper, in color! You could in a pinch for a few miles and at 40 or so mph but yer knuckles will be very white! If the trailer starts whipping and you have no controller inside for the trailer brakes the it could end up as a yard sale
Cameron

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
You will be towing over double the rated towing capacity of your JK. The first highway patrol to see you is going to pull you over and give you a ticket. And that doesn't even take into account the safety risk involved, and the fact that if an accident were to occur, your insurance wouldn't cover it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
rent a truck to pull the ram if necessary. don't even attempt to pull the empty trailer with your jeep.... the tail WILL wag the dog

·
Retired Moderator
100,675 Posts
No, no and no......:nonono::nonono::nonono:

Always, SAFETY first.......:thumb:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanx for the advice guys that's exactly what I thought

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Could you, yeah, but I like the idea of renting a truck if you need to do it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Everything said here is true and I would never attempt to do what you're considering for all of the above said reasons, except, it should stand corrected, your insurance WILL cover any issue resulting from your towing negligence since it is on a public right of way/roadway. Yes insurance covers stupidity and negligence, even accidents resulting from drunk or drugged driving, or people passing out behind the wheel and taking out a store, unfortunately. You would not be covered however if your form of negligence occurred on complete private, non-business owned property.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Be leave me I have no intention to do it I don't have too much experience towing but I have common sence I was just wanted some input. I may be buying a beater truck might just use that to tow

·
Registered
546 Posts
Everything said here is true and I would never attempt to do what you're considering for all of the above said reasons, except, it should stand corrected, your insurance WILL cover any issue resulting from your towing negligence since it is on a public right of way/roadway. Yes insurance covers stupidity and negligence, even accidents resulting from drunk or drugged driving, or people passing out behind the wheel and taking out a store, unfortunately. You would not be covered however if your form of negligence occurred on complete private, non-business owned property.
Becareful before you give insurance advice for us down here. There are policies out there that will NOT cover your stuff if grossly overweight or dui and will lower your liability coverage if same occurs. Now most reputable companies will pay with no issue but you need to read your policy which nobody does and thinks i have full coverage so all is good. Buyer beware
Cameron

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I've done dumb stuff, but never again will I tow a backhoe with a 1/2 ton 1976 Dodge pickup. It should've been a clue when the backhoe turned my ramps (that I use for my tractor) into C's, lifting the back of the truck into the air whilst driving it on the trailer. The scoop of the backhoe was over the bed of the pickup, and anything over 15 mph going downhill was hair raising.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just bought a 2001 Ram 1500 earlier this year with the thoughts of perhaps trailering my Jeep up to Rausch Creek or AOAA just in case something did break I could still get home. That and I needed a work truck for about a million other things that the Jeep can't tow!

I have towed about 1300lbs of firewood on a 5x8 trailer with my JK with 3.21s and it was NOT happy about it in the hills of the Poconos. I couldn't even FATHOM trying to tow a Ram...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts