Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2013 jkur. Just got it three weeks ago. It has a soft top, the premium one. Can I take this thing through one of those automatic car washes. I worry about the chemicals discoloring the soft top.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I may be wrong, but I swear I read that you shouldn't run the soft top in the automatic car bathing machines.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
I would also almost swear that it's a Jeep.

Do whatever you want to a...truck. ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't see a touch less car wash being a problem. Just about the same chemicals in a bay wash. I wouldn't do a car wash with the motorized wipers and rollers. May jack up the top.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
You MIGHT try and ask at the carwash if their soap/ car wash is convertible friendly....I ran my TJ through for 7 years with no issues and replaced the top with a "half top", and sold/ traded my factory top to a fellow Jeeper. Our Jk also goes through the "carwash" at least weekly this time of the year, and the TJ with the half top does as well. The car wash we use IS convertible friendly and not just a little "mom and pop" type shop, they get it clean and shiny and do a GOOD underbody wash, great if you have been off road, or to get rid of the salt here in Indiana.

They are not a national chain but do have several across the state from here to Indy at least. it is called "Mike's"

·
Registered
680 Posts
I actually had the same question the other day concerning my recently purchased Jeep. I called Bestop and the guy I spoke to said he does it all the time with the "touchless" one, but did not recommend using one with the rotary brushes.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would worry about the chemicals discoloring your windows.. Brushes would be a no no..

Smitty

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
There generally are no harmful chemicals In a carwash. It's pretty much like washing it at home. I hate the ones with the spin brushes cuz they always scratch vehicles. Normally I like touchless but with a soft top, I personally was uncomfortable with how much the water presses down on the top. It wasn't too much different than driving on the highway but I still didn't like it. I generally don't use car washes. I have some insulated water proof rubber gloves so I even wash my own jeep in the middle of New England winters right in my driveway

You could go to a pressure wash station and just do it yourself and just don't blast the soft top?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts