Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 2007 JK Rubi? It has stock 17" rims w/tires and I have a brand new set of MTR GY w/Kevlar 35x12.5x15 on Black Rock Viper rims w/ 3.5" of backspacing.

What are the advantages / disadvantages of me running the 15 inch rims and tires. I am putting metal cloaks on w/bumpstop, so not worried about fender clearance.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
That's exactly the setup I have. 35" MTR w/K on Black Rock Vipers. :D

There are three reasons I chose to go that route as opposed to the 17" route. First, I like the look of a 15" wheel in a 35" tire. It just looks JEEP to me, if that makes sense. I like the big tire look with lots of rubber.

Secondly, the initial purchase price of a 35x15 tire versus a 35x17 was about $100 cheaper per tire. Add in replacement costs and you're talking about a good chunk of money.

And the third reason I went that route is due to weight. I'm a real weight hawk on my Jeep and I try to find ways to keep the weight off any way I can. The 15" wheels and tires are lighter than a comparable 17" combo.

Did you go with the black or tungsten Vipers? I believe the Vipers have 3.75" of backspacing, no? :confused:

·
Registered
536 Posts
some 15" tires are harder to balance
15" tires have a lot more sidewall flex when you corner
15" rims look undersized
15" tires look like huge doughnuts
15" tires tend to have lower load ratings
15" rims are for people that cant afford 16-17s

17" and 35s would have my vote, since you can actually see the rim too, while still keeping a ton of sidewall. 16s wouldnt be bad either

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
bloodfart said:
some 15" tires are harder to balance
15" tires have a lot more sidewall flex when you corner
15" rims look undersized
15 tires look like huge doughnuts
15" tires tend to have lower load ratings
15" rims are for people that cant afford 16-17s
Good way of putting it.

Most of its true. I like the look but hating the performance.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Sidewall flex when you're aired down off road is actually a good thing. Having a tire that better conforms to the terrain gives you better off road traction. The taller the sidewall (i.e. the smaller the rim) the better off road.

The rest is personal preference as far as appearance goes. I personally like the look of smaller wheels than average. I'm running 16's on my J10 because that's the smallest rim that fits over the brakes. With 35's it just looks right in my (not so) humble opinion.

Now, I'll admit that once you go over about 35" the small rims start to look too small. I've seen 44" boggers on 15" rims and they really do look weird. Those belong on 17's or bigger.

On the other hand, really big rims just don't look right on a 4x4 to me. Even with huge tires 20" rims or bigger, to me, just look wrong. Some people like them, and that's fine. I'm not really a fan.

When it comes time for me to swap 35's on my JK, I'll look for tires that fit a 16-17" rim and go with those.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If I had to do it over, I would not have gone 15's for some of the reasons cited above. Also, the weight difference and price are not enough to outweight the others IMO. Plus they sling extra slop that sticks to the doors and fenders....particularly slush. My sliders help soak up some of it but it's still kind of nasty....but not terrible....I'd just prefer to have less of it flying around. For those who love to show off all the mud splatter, they are great - but that's not me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sidewall flex when you're aired down off road is actually a good thing. Having a tire that better conforms to the terrain gives you better off road traction. The taller the sidewall (i.e. the smaller the rim) the better off road.

The rest is personal preference as far as appearance goes. I personally like the look of smaller wheels than average. I'm running 16's on my J10 because that's the smallest rim that fits over the brakes. With 35's it just looks right in my (not so) humble opinion.

Now, I'll admit that once you go over about 35" the small rims start to look too small. I've seen 44" boggers on 15" rims and they really do look weird. Those belong on 17's or bigger.

On the other hand, really big rims just don't look right on a 4x4 to me. Even with huge tires 20" rims or bigger, to me, just look wrong. Some people like them, and that's fine. I'm not really a fan.

When it comes time for me to swap 35's on my JK, I'll look for tires that fit a 16-17" rim and go with those.
Nice truck....I miss my J20

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
If I had to do it over, I would not have gone 15's for some of the reasons cited above. Also, the weight difference and price are not enough to outweight the others IMO. Plus they sling extra slop that sticks to the doors and fenders....particularly slush. My sliders help soak up some of it but it's still kind of nasty....but not terrible....I'd just prefer to have less of it flying around. For those who love to show off all the mud splatter, they are great - but that's not me.
What does wheel size have to do with "slinging extra slop?" The only thing that will affect this is backspacing and fender/flare coverage.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Cons_Table said:
What does wheel size have to do with "slinging extra slop?" The only thing that will affect this is backspacing and fender/flare coverage.
From what i understand, the 15" rims have less backspacing, making them stick out more

·
Registered
536 Posts
derf said:
Sure, but they suck on the highway where you spend 80-90% of the time... The 32s on 18s that the sahara runs have a lot of sidewall, so a 35" tire on 16-17" rim will have even more than that!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
The first two pics: 35/12.50.15 tires on 8" wheels

Third pic: 37/12.50/17 on 8.5 wheels
35/12.50/15 are about $100 less per tire, as mentioned above, but worked and drove fantastic. From hard core rock crawling to trips to Reno

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
bloodfart said:
From what i understand, the 15" rims have less backspacing, making them stick out more
Just because it is 15" doesnt automatically make the backspacing less. For example, the 15" wheels that came under my TJ stock had more backspacing than the 15s that I replaced them with. Backspacing affects how far the tires stick out, wheel size doesn't.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Cons_Table said:
Just because it is 15" doesnt automatically make the backspacing less. For example, the 15" wheels that came under my TJ stock had more backspacing than the 15s that I replaced them with. Backspacing affects how far the tires stick out, wheel size doesn't.
Exactly

1 - 14 of 14 Posts