Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone wanted to take the long way, could they start to build the cheapest available JK and eventually make a Hard Rock?

What about the buttons on the left that lock the axles and sway bar disc.?

·
Registered
184 Posts
No... You will either end up with something better or something worse. With enough cash you could make a Mazda Miata a serious rock crawler.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
It would cost more then just buying the Hard Rock from the dealer.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Choose your mods wisely - and if you can do the work yourself it is very possible and more affordable. Plus you can personalize it and make it "yours"

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I'm building a HR replica, just need leather, premium evic, alpine sound and of course the hood! LOL

·
Registered
586 Posts
The quickest and easiest way, is to move your mouse from "Sport" to "Hard Rock" on the Jeep website. Probably far cheaper too.

·
Registered
661 Posts
You can spend far more on a sport than you would a hard rock, and you will still have a sport. That's what the title will say, that's what your resale value will be based on, etc. you also will have no warranty.

IMHO, sports are good for two reasons, and two reasons only.

1) you don't need or want to pay for a more capable offroad rig. You just need basic 4x4, or really don't need 4x4 at all. 95% of Jeep buyers probably fall into this category.

2) you want to build a full blown, purpose built offroad rig. You are replacing everything that makes a rubicon a rubicon anyhow, might as well start as cheap as possible.

The rubicon provides a very high level of performance with a warranty, OEM quality parts, and resale value. It's a great package of you aren't going to build a purpose built rig.

·
Registered
156 Posts
After you replace the cosmetics, change out gears, axles, disconnect sway bar, locking diff, hood,suspension, tire, wheels, etc...you are in it for more $$. Anything less and you have a want to be. If you want a HR save a little more, if you are going to build it out then start from scratch!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After you replace the cosmetics, change out gears, axles, disconnect sway bar, locking diff, hood,suspension, tire, wheels, etc...you are in it for more $$. Anything less and you have a want to be. If you want a HR save a little more, if you are going to build it out then start from scratch!
OK, so it sounds like it would cost more, in the long run, just like building up a Harley or anything else. I really do want a capable Jeep, so I think a rubi with basic rubi stock (4.10s, lockers, sway disc., rock trac, 44s front and rear) would be the wisest.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
the biggest factor in resale? not your lockers, not your tires, not your hood, not your leather. the biggest factor in resale is your vin number.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Resale to a private owner and you might win when getting rid of it but I doubt that.

You'll invest way too much time and experience way too many headaches with your plan. I watched as a friend tried to install the factory wiring harness and controls for a cruise control that he didn't have. It never got completed and he is a mechanic.

:winner: Study the assembly process Chrysler uses to build their product. You'll see why you'll save money & headaches buying the finished product from them.

·
Super Moderator
10,618 Posts
It will cost you a lot MORE, and you won't get much of it back when you trade it in.

Just the front D44 alone can be half the price difference; add to that leather, dome hood, steel bumpers, rock rails, and you quickly passed the price of a HR. You still have to regear, add electronic disco, get the wheels and tires, replace the shocks, etc. And don't forget to add a Mopar fuel door!

If you want to tell your buddies you built a Sport into a HR, buy a HR: peel off the Rubicon decals and slap a couple of $10 Sport stickers on the front fenders and voila!

No matter what we do to our JKs, they will always show up on their VIN as whichever trim they were originally built.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
You can spend far more on a sport than you would a hard rock, and you will still have a sport. That's what the title will say, that's what your resale value will be based on, etc. you also will have no warranty.

IMHO, sports are good for two reasons, and two reasons only.

1) you don't need or want to pay for a more capable offroad rig. You just need basic 4x4, or really don't need 4x4 at all. 95% of Jeep buyers probably fall into this category.

2) you want to build a full blown, purpose built offroad rig. You are replacing everything that makes a rubicon a rubicon anyhow, might as well start as cheap as possible.

The rubicon provides a very high level of performance with a warranty, OEM quality parts, and resale value. It's a great package of you aren't going to build a purpose built rig.

Wow, Rubicon snob much? I use 4x4 a ton in the winter and I use it a ton when I am setting tree stands, checking trail cameras and working the land I hunt. It would be VERY hard to access some areas in a stock Wrangler, Rubicon or not. I bought a Sport and lifted it to clear taller tires so I can more easily access the land I hunt. Didn't need to spend the extra on a Rubicon to then also have to alter that to do what I needed. I had a '04 Rubicon and now a '15 sport, I would say my '15 sport can do 99.9% of the stuff my '04 Rubicon could do.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Wow, Rubicon snob much? I use 4x4 a ton in the winter and I use it a ton when I am setting tree stands, checking trail cameras and working the land I hunt. It would be VERY hard to access some areas in a stock Wrangler, Rubicon or not. I bought a Sport and lifted it to clear taller tires so I can more easily access the land I hunt. Didn't need to spend the extra on a Rubicon to then also have to alter that to do what I needed. I had a '04 Rubicon and now a '15 sport, I would say my '15 sport can do 99.9% of the stuff my '04 Rubicon could do.
Nothing snobby about it fella. You didn't need or want the lockers, 4.10s, 4:1 transfer case, D44 and automatic disconnects that a Rubicon offers, so you chose not to pay for them. Nothing wrong with that at all. I was merely trying to say is that the vast majority of Jeep people are served just fine by a stock sport, and for those that aren't a stock rubicon is significantly more capable, yet far cheaper, easier, and more reliable than a purpose built trail rig thats based on a sport.

This means to me, that Sports are useful for people that are served just fine by basic 4x4, and this is probably 95% of Jeep owners. Trying to build your sport into a Rubicon will be more expensive, less reliable, and have a lower resale than just buying the Rubicon would be.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Nothing snobby about it fella. You didn't need or want the lockers, 4.10s, 4:1 transfer case, D44 and automatic disconnects that a Rubicon offers, so you chose not to pay for them. Nothing wrong with that at all. I was merely trying to say is that the vast majority of Jeep people are served just fine by a stock sport, and for those that aren't a stock rubicon is significantly more capable, yet far cheaper, easier, and more reliable than a purpose built trail rig thats based on a sport.

This means to me, that Sports are useful for people that are served just fine by basic 4x4, and this is probably 95% of Jeep owners. Trying to build your sport into a Rubicon will be more expensive, less reliable, and have a lower resale than just buying the Rubicon would be.
I guess I misunderstood, I apologize.

·
Registered
116 Posts

I'm feeling a little of the Rubi snub also...
I agree that building would no doubt cost more. I also agree that "many" jeep owners don't need off road tires or lockers.. or disconnects either...
I would hate to guess how many I see a day that have never gotten dirty, much less than a rock chip on pretty painted fenders from a gravel road.
A stock sport comes with 3.21 gears and 4 ply Wrangler tires... Enough for mall crawlers... This would be group one.

The second group... I have a "15" Willy's. Rubi wheels, Rubi shocks and Rubi tires & Rails. I use mine. Many others have spent some and just upgraded tires and bumpers and maybe swapped gears. I've been through mud and up and down trails most trucks can't go. And there are a number of us non-Rubi owners who do. If I needed to climb a tree or crawl up a mountain in Utah I would need a Rubi and more... This would be group three. Hard core guys. I think this group deserve allot of respect.. This group knows more about mods, lockers, motor swaps, lights, bumpers quick off road repairs.. and the list goes on. Group three are the guy's here who have tried about everything and are a wealth of information. That's why I got here in the first place.

I just don't think it's fair to lump all sport owners in one group and Rubi in another.

No disrespect but there is a middle ground.
Thank You,

1 - 20 of 51 Posts