Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not the most familiar with engine swaps but I do have a budget and I think a 4.7 in my 2008 would be pretty cool. I know there would be a lot of rewiring and I'm okay with that, but I was wondering if keeping the NSG370 6 speed manual would be a way to save money. I know its mfg rating is 272 lb but is the 4.7 output too much for it to be reliable? And are there any other cheap options? I'm thinking a little more optimistic than what reality has in store lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Supercharger kit.
How reliable are they though? I was looking at the magnuson roots for my 3.8. Its 4k, and I'd have my engine rebuilt, and I'd probably throw RIPP headers on. TBH a supercharged jeep sounds awesome but i'd want it to last at least 150k miles

·
Super Moderator
2,728 Posts
When the 4.7 was in production, Chrysler used the Getrag 238 instead of NSG370. I’d assume for good reason.

Reactions: Laggy

·
Registered
647 Posts
AFAIK, the JK NSG370 has a different bolt pattern than the 3.7/4.7 Magnum engines.
AFAIK, the JK NSG370has an integral bell housing, so, swapping the bell is not an option.

AFAIK, you would need to source a NSG370 from a KJ, or TJ/LJ.
At that point... maybe looking at the Getrag 238 starts to make sense.

I had a WJ with the 4.7HO in it (265hp/330tq). Really liked that little motor, would have loved a slick 5/6 speed manual with it. I put 120k trouble free miles on it, sold it to a coworkers son, who ran it up to 150k miles without issue before he sold it.
I think the 2nd gen 4.7's (revised heads/cams) were rated at 300hp/335tq.

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
AFAIK, the JK NSG370 has a different bolt pattern than the 3.7/4.7 Magnum engines.
AFAIK, the JK NSG370has an integral bell housing, so, swapping the bell is not an option.

AFAIK, you would need to source a NSG370 from a KJ, or TJ/LJ.
At that point... maybe looking at the Getrag 238 starts to make sense.

I had a WJ with the 4.7HO in it (265hp/330tq). Really liked that little motor, would have loved a slick 5/6 speed manual with it. I put 120k trouble free miles on it, sold it to a coworkers son, who ran it up to 150k miles without issue before he sold it.
I think the 2nd gen 4.7's (revised heads/cams) were rated at 300hp/335tq.
I was gonna say it splits...But not at the bell housing, It's a bit further back...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm not the most familiar with engine swaps but I do have a budget and I think a 4.7 in my 2008 would be pretty cool. I know there would be a lot of rewiring and I'm okay with that, but I was wondering if keeping the NSG370 6 speed manual would be a way to save money. I know its mfg rating is 272 lb but is the 4.7 output too much for it to be reliable? And are there any other cheap options? I'm thinking a little more optimistic than what reality has in store lol
If your goal is to save money, this really isn't the way to go. The words "engine swap" and "cheap" shouldn't go together, and I'd be concerned if they were. Do you need an engine, or are you just looking for more power?

As has been stated, the JK nsg370 won't bolt to the 4.7, you'd need to get a nsg370 out of a KJ liberty with the 3.7, and even then as was mentioned, you may be pushing it for a nsg370.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts