Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pull the trigger on a leveling kit/lift. Thought I had it nailed. Just a little ol' teraflex leveling kit. nothing crazy. But, someone told me to check out the teraflex spring 2 1/2"...so I need some guidance.

First, I am not a rock crawler or mudder or off road junkie. It's a new JK Sahara Unlimited which will only see moderate trail / camping / fishing use and tons of kids baseball practice.

Here is what I want to do next month - Rampage front and rear bumper. Probably wont need a winch ever...but who knows if I just add one because (insert jokes here). So that is up in the air. Will eventually get 33's when the factory wheels wear out.

So, knowing I am upgrading bumpers next month, and bigger tires eventually what leveling kit / lift should I get. Do I just get the puck spacers or the new springs? Do I go 1 1/2 or 2 1/2? I was originally thinking 1.5 but then when I picked out my bumpers, I realized it would sag much more. Had my kids sitting on the bumper past night (they weigh in about 120 combined) and it dropped 1/2"! so a 1 1/2 level turns to only a 1" :banghead:
So ANY help / experience would be uber appreciated!:popcorn:

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
hmm.. help you spend your money - okay mail payment to:
your favorite moderator
tampa, fl

too much, okay... :rofl:

with what you described, if you're not going to be getting larger tires, and when you do, it's only going to be 33s with light wheeling, yeah - i'd stay with a spacer lift. :thumb: you might also want to look and see if anyone around you has some take off rubicon springs and shocks... that will help clean up the sag a little bit... but you're still going to need the spacers.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
Since your planning to upgrade your bumpers, i would look into a 2.5 coil/shock kit. A leveling kit will level out the jeep but when you start adding heavy add ons, expect a little bit of sagging. Also be aware that 2.5 kits net you higher than the advertised height...thats because they are r&d'd for jeeps that are heavily modified with add ons.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
hmm.. help you spend your money - okay mail payment to:
your favorite moderator
VERNON, CT ken

too much, okay... :rofl:

with what you described, if you're not going to be getting larger tires, and when you do, it's only going to be 33s with light wheeling, yeah - i'd stay with a spacer lift. :thumb: you might also want to look and see if anyone around you has some take off rubicon springs and shocks... that will help clean up the sag a little bit... but you're still going to need the spacers.

Fixed :hide: :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Since your planning to upgrade your bumpers, i would look into a 2.5 coil/shock kit. A leveling kit will level out the jeep but when you start adding heavy add ons, expect a little bit of sagging. Also be aware that 2.5 kits net you higher than the advertised height...thats because they are r&d'd for jeeps that are heavily modified with add ons.
I agree, Teraflex is closer with their heights having both 2 and 4 door kits.
Get the kit with shock adapters and go with a good shock. Wait for it......... Rancho 9000 :)
Or shock of your choice obviously :thumb:

·
Registered
995 Posts
Forget the pucks. Yes you will sit higher but your springs will be compressed somewhat so ride quality will be affected to a degree. I noticed a bit of a difference in handling when I put my bumper on without any sort of lift. I put on the Rancho 2" a few months back & was amazed at the improvement in handling.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
Forget the pucks. Yes you will sit higher but your springs will be compressed somewhat so ride quality will be affected to a degree. I noticed a bit of a difference in handling when I put my bumper on without any sort of lift. I put on the Rancho 2" a few months back & was amazed at the improvement in handling.
nah... not for what he's describing. spacers are fine for his need, a spring lift is overkill here. :whistling: i have TeraFlex spacers on top of my aftermarket springs, very happy with them. and they're stackable....

you could throw a 1.5" spacer upfront and an .5 spacer in the rear... with the bumper adds, you'd probably have the look you're after. :thumb:

and if down the road you decide you want a suspension lift... well you make the choice then for what is going to suit your needs..

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,474 Posts
The TF Leveling kit will get you 2" front and 1" rear.

I too am not a huge fan of the spacers because well, at the end of the day, your still on the stock coils that are not designed to carry all the aftermarket weight many of our JK's have. I say go ahead and swap it out with a decent 2.5" Coil lift. You will love the ride, it will do anything you ever need offroad, you wont have to worry about the sag, and down the road, you can upgrade it where as upgrading the spacer lift would be to go to a coil lift...

If there is anything we can do to help, let us know.

-Jason

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK..So i screwed up and ordered the pucks. About an hour later, I realized i shoulda got the coils.:banghead:

So...I am gonna return the pucks and go coils. Thanks for the input fellas!

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
get shocks with those coils, brake line relocation brackets, and a rear track bar bracket too! :whistling: or you're just going to be chasing your tail trying to get it to drive like it used to.

:thumb:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh...forgot. one other question. i am running stock sahara tires now. will 2.5 be too much? 1.5'? ... and should I get the ones with the shocks in it?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
get shocks with those coils, brake line relocation brackets, and a rear track bar bracket too! :whistling: or you're just going to be chasing your tail trying to get it to drive like it used to.

:thumb:
which teraflex (i guess i am not limited to them) kit is the right one

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
which teraflex (i guess i am not limited to them) kit is the right one
their 2.5" kit has everything you need. pair that with a set of bilstein, fox, or rancho shocks and you'll be riding happy :whistling:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts