Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished up my CB install, 3ft Wilson Firestick & PL259 base with 50ohm RG58 coax. My radio is a Midland 75-822

My swl meter on order i tried tuning the best i can with the little meters on the screen which i doubt do anything. When I press the PTT button the power meter shows full bars, but i cant seem to get past 6-7 on the RX signal. I drove on the road and once i got on the highway i could hear conversations but when i would try and "reach out" to see if anyone could here me i didnt get a response :confused:

I soldered my PL259's and i get continuity, verified that they are not shorted. I used pl259's, doing some more research should I have grounded it? did i get the wrong base?

thanks for your time :thumb:

·
Grampie
783 Posts
I have the same CB & am very happy with it. I use a Lil' Will magnet mount antenna which I put on the middle of the hood & run the cable in thru the passenger door.

The power meter on the radio won't help in tuning the antenna, you will need the SWR meter.

I can't tell from the picture, but I don't see an isolation washer under the mounting bracket. I think the antenna base is supposed to be isolated from the mounting bracket.

Also the mounting bracket itself should be grounded to the chassis, the mounting bolts, by themselves are not enough.

I am not an expert on the subject of antenna mounting or tuning, but I will try to find some of the other posts that may help you.

Also, I suggest not using the radio, until the antenna is properly tuned. I have read that damage can result, again I'm no expert.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If it has the meter in the radio switch it to swr key up ur Mic and hold it. look at Ur gauge to see where its at. if its over 1.5 then there to high. Turn the swr cal knob to ur left to lower them down And yes it will hurt ur radio talking on it with the swr's to high. It will burn up the finals in the radio

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do u hear static on ur radio when u have it turned on
Thanks Guys! look forward to more responses. :thumb: I do hear static on the radio when its turned on, but squelch takes it out. When I was driving and heard some truckers talking it was loud in clear. When i tried to "breaker breaker 1-9" i didnt get a response, almost like it didnt transmit. I did uncsrew the radio from the antenna and it immediately cut out.

There is an isolation washer on the top side, should that be on the bottom?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ur antenna needs to be away from any metal as far as u can get it. Ur jeep body. It will interfere with ur reception. A wave length is 32 ft long. So. I heard u will get out a little further if u have a coax that is half that length 18'

·
Grampie
783 Posts
You might try the radio with the small antenna and battery combo to see if it works any better than what you have now. I can tell you that when the antenna is properly tuned The large antenna should work much better. When I put my CB in my Jeep, I always check my SWR before I go out. Since I am using a magnet mount, I have found that it will change some each time. Last time I used it I was getting ch1: 1.3, ch40: 1.7, and send and receive worked well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ya i drive a big truck and i have a five footer on top of my mirror. I can talk pretty far. I also have a cheaper behind it if needed.lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
You have the same mount that I do,it is powde rcoated. You have to scrape the powder coating off around all of the mounting holes to get a ground.( mounting and antenna mounting holes) Without a ground you have no antenna.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have the same mount that I do,it is powde rcoated. You have to scrape the powder coating off around all of the mounting holes to get a ground.( mounting and antenna mounting holes) Without a ground you have no antenna.
really? how would it work if it was say a; magnet base antenna? isnt the negative (braid) considered a ground? I will scrape the paint if i have to but I have a hard time believing its necessary? Would I be better of running another wire and ground it to a ground point somewhere in the Jeep?

·
Registered
60 Posts
He's not talking about on the jeep. The mount. Scrap all the pouder coat of ur mount around the mounting holes were ur bolts will ground it better

·
Grampie
783 Posts
There are lots of grounding discussions re: this mount & they all agree w/ this. I think it has to do with creating a "ground plane" at the base of the antenna, again I'm no expert. Many also want you to add a ground strap from one of the mounting bolts to a chassis ground inside the Jeep. I believe there is a ground stud behind the speaker trim in the back. Follow the same wire routing as the coax into the Jeep.

Your wiring looks good by the way.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are lots of grounding discussions re: this mount & they all agree w/ this. I think it has to do with creating a "ground plane" at the base of the antenna, again I'm no expert. Many also want you to add a ground strap from one of the mounting bolts to a chassis ground inside the Jeep. I believe there is a ground stud behind the speaker trim in the back. Follow the same wire routing as the coax into the Jeep.

Your wiring looks good by the way.
Thanks for the info! now im wondering if i should have gone with a NGP (no ground plane) antenna for the installation. Have others had luck just scraping the powder coat or should i just bite the bullet and run a ground?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks for the info! now im wondering if i should have gone with a NGP (no ground plane) antenna for the installation. Have others had luck just scraping the powder coat or should i just bite the bullet and run a ground?
Your best bet is to remove some of the paint as previously mentioned. Also, a NGP antenna is smoke and mirrors and basically a POS. The same goes for a magnet mount antenna. With these antennas, the coax braid acts as the antenna ground which is really what you don't want. It will work but will be a terribly inefficient antenna.

Regards,
Jim

·
Grampie
783 Posts
Chunks said:
Your best bet is to remove some of the paint as previously mentioned. Also, a NGP antenna is smoke and mirrors and basically a POS. The same goes for a magnet mount antenna. With these antennas, the coax braid acts as the antenna ground which is really what you don't want. It will work but will be a terribly inefficient antenna.

Regards,
Jim
For my future reference, should paint be removed at the attachment bolts and underneath the bracket where the antenna attaches? What about adding a ground strap? Some say yes, what say you?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts