Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The metal-can-shield on what I assume is one of my cats, has broken free of it's welds. It's completely free-floating at the moment. Unlike when this happened on my other TJ, it refuses to stay quiet. So, can I cut it off without having any exhaust leaks/too much extra noise? What exactly is it? A heat shield? Passing inspection is also a concern if it would effect that.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
It's a heat shield/retainer. go to an exhaust shop and have them weld it back in place...should be really cheap to do. I would leave it on there for sure though.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
it is a heat shield for the cat. For comparison, I had routed some wiring for an accessory about 8-12 inches behind those cats towards the firewall. Went for a drive on the highway, smelled burning plastic...I had melted the cheap wire loom I installed the wires in. The type of plastic that loom was made of melts around 400°F. I now run the wires through a heat shield wire loom.

My conclusion was the local area between the cats and the firewall gets very hot when driving down the road. I've also measured tunnel temps to be in excess of 150-200°F+. Ever drive down the highway without carpet in the summer? Yea...that's why you don't want to touch the floor.

So get the heat shield fixed.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, glad I asked. Thanks! Looks like I'll be getting it welded. Our exhausts are stainless, correct? I'd give it a shot myself but if it's stainless I might have a shop look at it.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Well, glad I asked. Thanks! Looks like I'll be getting it welded. Our exhausts are stainless, correct? I'd give it a shot myself but if it's stainless I might have a shop look at it.
the cat downpipe may be some type of low grade stainless, I don't know. All I know is it welds just fine with the cheapo flux-core coming out of my Miller.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts