Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is where front section of the door opening, pretty bad on both sides. I'm sure this has been seen before, i'm curious how this has been fixed...

Josh

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, not the floor pan, i'm talking about the vertical support piece on the inside that the outer sheet metal attaches to.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Basically, you cut out the rust/cancer, then you weld in a new piece. The light rust can be treated, but the cancer needs to be cut out with new replaced.

Theres plenty to it if you wish to get details.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea... that's what i was thinking, can i buy a replacement piece or is it something i'm going to have to have fab'd?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Depends on what it is you need done, or what you want done. If you're lucky you could find a junker jeep with a good side panel and floor to cut out. If you use a grinder with a cutting blade you can make short work of it. Then carefully match the pieces and weld in. But I also believe you can buy floor panels, and some body panels pre-fabed and you just cut what you need.

I had a second cousin that did body work, and he told me of a tool that sounded really handy that would put a lip in the steel. You would cut the replacement piece large, and the piece to replace a bit small, and then use this tool to put a lip on the edge of the body so the new piece could fit flush with the outer edge. Then tack weld it into place, you could even tack it on the back side if you preferred.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Whoops, I didnt catch your second post...

The uprights I suspect you could just fab with flat steel and weld in.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what about the other interior structural piece behind the seat where the seat belt mechanism mounts to? I have holes under those on both sides and it's gotten into those columns, patching the floor doesn't seem like a big deal but what about the other? Are there replacements or will i have to find loaner parts? Also, if i get a used, replacement tub, will i have to re-title it?

Thanks, Josh

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
The section on the back side of the door(for the seat belt mechanism) and the channel on the front of the door opening are not items that can be bought, so you would have to fab them yourself.

As far as your question about a used replacement tub, all you need to do is take your VIN plate off of the old tub and re-rivet it to the new one. Saves the hassles of going through the process of a re-title. There are 2 VIN plates, 1 is on the top of the drivers side dash, and #2 is on the body itself directly behind the battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just FYI check with the local police about the VIN in TX if I stopped you and the VIN had new or different rivets it could be a long stop. Just a heads up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts