Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at the Barricade Extreme HD Bumper for a JL Wrangler. My question is, with the 9,500 lbs rating on the d-rings and the 12,000 lbs winch rating, is this bumper strong enough to connect a tow bar to the d-rings to flat tow / dinghy tow the wrangler behind an RV?

I’ve seen a lot of mixed replies to questions like this regarding Barricade bumpers in other threads. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah you would think, but Extreme Terrain says that the Barricade Extreme HD bumper isn't "tow rated". This makes me wonder if it's even as strong as they say for recovery. From what I can tell, the weak point is the bolts they send you to bolt it to the frame...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a post here (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f442/f...r-1482481.html) about flat towing / dingy towing by connecting to the d-rings on the Barricade J20851 Trail Force HD Front Bumper.

From what I can tell the mounts are exactly the same on the Barricade Extreme HD Front Bumper (https://www.extremeterrain.com/barri...r-2018-jl.html). Where it mounts to the frame and the d-rings being welded on both sides. Also, the d-rings show it rated for 9,500 lbs and it supports a 12,000 lbs winch. This seems strong enough to me to flat tow by hooking up to the d-rings. However, the product page lists a FAQ question/answer that states you don't support flat towing with this bumper?

I don't get it. Can you or not?

Would be great to get an official answer from Extreme Terrain / Barricade for this bumper. Their site doesn't even match the forums post listed above on the Trail Force HD bumper... sigh...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I solved all of the above issues by ordering a custom Dirtworx front bumper with dual d-ring mounts that double as tow mounts. Welded all the way through, and located right next to the frame rails on a bumper mounted with grade 8 hardware, it's going nowhere. I tow with it constantly, and it is probably more solid than most other connections in the rest of the Jeep.

If the bumper isn't strong enough to tow, it's not likely strong enough for recovery either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts