Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Took a trip from Pennsylvania to Virginia last night as as soon as I got here I started hearing this loud "winy" noise. Im thinking Its probably one of the pullys making this noise but I'm not quite sure. It drives fine just a little worried since my trip back on Monday is three hours long. please click the link to hear it.

https://youtu.be/b1Ce1CPvqwA

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It actually seems like its coming from up top so i am thinking that it is the idle pulley or the alternator. Its so hard to tell. The Idler pulley seems to have a tiny bit of play in it. Hopefully i can figure this out before i get stranded on the highway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi everyone. Took a trip from Pennsylvania to Virginia last night as as soon as I got here I started hearing this loud "winy" noise. Im thinking Its probably one of the pullys making this noise but I'm not quite sure. It drives fine just a little worried since my trip back on Monday is three hours long. please click the link to hear it.

https://youtu.be/b1Ce1CPvqwA
I'd say its a bearing in ur alternator! One too many puddles! :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Use a long stick or screw driver. Place one end where the noise is coming from the other to your ear. You will isolate easily.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have absolutely no tools down here! looks like I have to make a trip to the hardware store. Any chance I can pinpoint it by spraying WD 40 or something on the pulley and see if the squealing goes away?

·
Registered
15,669 Posts
Bad idea if you want to see if it is a belt squeal could drop some water and listen for sound change but not wd40 unless you want to take carb or brake cleaner to all the pulleys and then replace the belt

WD40 should only be used as a cutting fluid for aluminum and as a flame thrower on mud dauber nests keep it away from anything that needs to lubed

Also a so so solvent for cleaning off cosmoline or greasy residual

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had my jeep in the shop for a churping sound, this part that failed on my 2006 wrangler, has 88,000 miles, was the cam / oil pump modual, usually did it on start up, but only lasted a few seconds. I caught mine in time, but this part can distroy, the gear drive on your cam if not fixed. That part is just aft and above the right motor mount 4, inches round in diameter. Has a few wires coming out of it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for input. It turned out my idler pulley was going bad. Put a new one on and she's purring like a kitten! Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts