Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is about rotating tires on a stock (unlifted) JKU. It would save a lot of time to jack one side, do the work there, then do the other side and be done with it rather than having to jack it up 4 times.

I've done some searching and can't seem to find an answer about what sort of jack you need or where to put it. I've read that I can jack the Jeep using the ACE Rock Sliders but haven't heard any talk of people actually doing this.

I've read all about how you should jack from the points shown in the manual (which I did yesterday) and how you can jack up the front or the back using the diff pumpkins.

What I really want to know is whether I can jack up a side of the Jeep with a floor jack placed somewhere in the middle. It seems to me that I might just jack the body up and have the tires stay on the ground due to the articulation unless I can jack it higher than any floor jack would go.

The tallest floor jacks I'm seeing raise around 21" or so. Is that enough? Is this a thing that people do? :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Mirroring above, use the axles. Using the frame you'd need a real tall jack to overcome the suspension travel. Sure in a pinch you could use the rock sliders, but it's not ideal and not recommended.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I jack up just the front axle high enough (up to 21"), will the rear tire lift up?

Or am I relegated to jacking up one axle, putting it on a stand, and then jacking up the other no matter what if I want to lift a side?

To be fair, this will be a lot easier with a floor jack than the scissor jack.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It will also depend on how you rotate the tires. I do a 5 tire rotation. In this, I need to cross from one side to the other. Can not do this by lifting only one side. I lift the front and support the axle with 2 jack stands. I then lift the rear under the center dif allowing all 4 tires off the ground at the same time. Easy to rotate everything at once. Just be careful and do not get under the Jeep.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If you rotate the spare in as you should, you never have to have more than one tire off the ground at a time and always have a free tire to replace it with. Just take the spare off first.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Wharfrat and I are on the same page. But wrapping ratchet straps around the axles and frame should negate the flex and let you lift both tires with one jack.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Jack up the back put on axle stands.
Jack up the front and leave Jack in place.
Now all 4 wheels are off the ground so you can rotate as you wish. I prefer the 5 tire rearward cross for speed and ease.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you rotate the spare in as you should, you never have to have more than one tire off the ground at a time and always have a free tire to replace it with. Just take the spare off first.
That's what I did. Just, for years I've done front to back rotations on cars and you just lift the whole side. The issue wasn't that I couldn't get the job done. It's that I'm an IT guy so it's my nature to do the job using the least amount of actual work possible. :D

Jack up the back put on axle stands.
Jack up the front and leave Jack in place.
Now all 4 wheels are off the ground so you can rotate as you wish. I prefer the 5 tire rearward cross for speed and ease.
This is the pattern I used. 5 wheel rearward cross. I took the spare off first, and then figured if I could lift the passenger side, I'd do that whole side and then go around and do the other side.

I've only ever once lifted a whole car up on jack stands. It all seemed particularly unstable and dangerous. Maybe it's more stable with something as wide as the Jeep. Do other people do this?

As it was, I just did one corner at a time with the scissor jack.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Jack up the back put on axle stands. Jack up the front and leave Jack in place. Now all 4 wheels are off the ground so you can rotate as you wish. I prefer the 5 tire rearward cross for speed and ease.
except do it the other way around. The front isn't balanced. But the rear diff will lift both wheels.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I dont get it, you really do not need jack stands swapping tires. That and doing a 5 tire rotation you just swap 1 tire at a time starting with the spare. Whats the point of lifting one side ?
I rotate tires on 3 vehicles every month and 1/2 due to the mileage we put on, believe me, It's faster with the rear on stands. And more stable then just being on the jack. Takes Less then 20min done and torqued with hand tools. One wheel at a time you move the jack 4 times, lift a corner 4 times , not very efficient.

On a lifted Jeep most jacks won't lift high enough to get the wheels off the floor if you try and lift from the side.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mirroring above, use the axles. Using the frame you'd need a real tall jack to overcome the suspension travel. Sure in a pinch you could use the rock sliders, but it's not ideal and not recommended.
This is not true for all rock guards or sliders, many manufacturers have high lift jack notches cut in the sliders, the better rock rails and sliders are meant to support the weight of your jeep sitting on a rock. If your not sure
call them.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
except do it the other way around. The front isn't balanced. But the rear diff will lift both wheels.
Lift the front and place on axle stands. Remove the spare.
Jack up the rear and go to work.
Oh, and don't forget to check those luguts after the first fifty miles.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Wharfrat and I are on the same page. But wrapping ratchet straps around the axles and frame should negate the flex and let you lift both tires with one jack.

Do you actually do this, or is it just an idea you had? Either way that is a bad idea. Floor jacks are pretty dangerous and need to be used with caution. Ratchet straps holding up your axle while on a floor jack just seems like a recipe for disaster. Not knocking you, just wouldn't do this myself. Jack stands are the really the only way to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts