Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the jk wranglers rear door trunk thing (sorry i dont know the technical name) can be open from inside

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
It should have that option already in it incase of accident so rear passengers can get out
Why? You can't open the rear hatch of my wife's Yukon from the inside. You also couldn't do that with my old Pathfinder. Hatchback 2 door cars are no different--my buddy's 1 Series Beamer couldn't be opened from the inside. I'd expect--like Jimbo said--it's a liability issue.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Cue- wranglermofo asking details and how-to of Jimbo's emergency exit

Cue- Jimbo giving his lawyer speech and not providing any info except that you can figure it out if you open it up and look at it.

Just saving everyone some time. :whistling:

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling:----OBAMA-is that you ?

Cue- wranglermofo asking details and how-to of Jimbo's emergency exit

Cue- Jimbo giving his lawyer speech and not providing any info except that you can figure it out if you open it up and look at it.

Just saving everyone some time. :whistling:
:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well so kids don't open it,

it might be a good idea to have a key lock on the inside of the back door trunk thing, so that incase of an emergency you can open the back from the inside

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Well so kids don't open it,

it might be a good idea to have a key lock on the inside of the back door trunk thing, so that incase of an emergency you can open the back from the inside
Not a bad idea necessarily, as Jimbo's modified door isn't objectively a bad idea. And you could readily modify your Wrangler like Jimbo has.

It's just worth noting that NO vehicles with hatches/tailgates (that I know of, anyway) can be opened from the inside without modification. Yukons, Civics, Pathfinders, etc. etc. So it's not a "problem" with the Wrangler.

It's instead built into the design of ALL hatchback/tailgate vehicles to (I suspect) prevent people who aren't otherwise seat belted into place from opening a door.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Where's the liability issue? All other doors can be opened from the inside. Kids can fall out of those too. They also know how to unbuckle their seat belts.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Wranglermofo said:
Why, do you spend a lot of time in the cargo area? I mean, if you have time to take your keys out of the ignition after an accident and crawl to the rear of the Jeep to unlock it, couldn't you just open the door? I could pop one of the hard panels off the front faster than I could crawl through the Jeep.

Why don't you tell us the real reason you want this?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ranjr said:
Why, do you spend a lot of time in the cargo area? I mean, if you have time to take your keys out of the ignition after an accident and crawl to the rear of the Jeep to unlock it, couldn't you just open the door? I could pop one of the hard panels off the front faster than I could crawl through the Jeep.

Why don't you tell us the real reason you want this?
What?

No. the idea would be to have a emergency spare key in the passenger area.

It would be pretty cool safety feature in all two door cars with a openable back door

Also, how could your crawl to the front doors if the people sitting there are unconscious?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Where's the liability issue? All other doors can be opened from the inside. Kids can fall out of those too. They also know how to unbuckle their seat belts.
Just guessing here . . . .

I have no idea if it's a regulatory restriction or something auto manufacturers just avoid because of potential lawsuits claiming it was a dangerous design and somebody was hurt.

If it's the former, then liability is obvious--the government will enforce the law. If it's the latter, liability isn't as obvious for the reasons you state. Given that it appears to be a consistent rule across all manufacturers, my guess would be it's the former (regulatory preclusion) justified by the latter (government has determined an interior latch would be dangerous in a cargo area that's accessible from the cabin).

The logic would go something along the lines of it being more dangerous to have a potential exit door somewhere where kids could be that wouldn't have a seat belt (or anything else) to help keep them in place, particularly where the door would easily open at speed whereas other doors are held closed by the wind.

It's an imperfect analysis for a vehicle like a Wrangler, which may very well have the top off and no side doors at all. But I'd expect the explanation is something along those lines, and it makes a reasonable amount of sense for our Yukon and Outback.

Further, even though it may not make a lot of sense for Wrangler, Chrysler really has little incentive to challenge the status quo on the topic. Are people demanding an exit hatch? No. Are any of the Wrangler's "competitors" able to have an exit hatch? No. If Chrysler to successfully lobbied for an exception to allow an exit hatch, would they sell more Wranglers? No. If somebody ended up getting hurt after falling out of the exit hatch, would Chrysler look stupid for having pursued it? Yes.

So it's just a non-issue.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: I'm not reaally a RULE breaker, counselor--just a rule bender-

Years ago I was made aware of "Internet Liability", so I don't mind giving ideas, but not plans/procedures !!

I've got flight records of trips to some places never heard of and my wife learned 20 years ago--Don't ask" !

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
JIMBOX said:
:whistling: I'm not reaally a RULE breaker, counselor--just a rule bender-

Years ago I was made aware of "Internet Liability", so I don't mind giving ideas, but not plans/procedures !!

I've got flight records of trips to some places never heard of and my wife learned 20 years ago--Don't ask" !

Roswell ?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts