Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a preferred method? I know I can remove the carpeting and bed line the floor boards. I know I can also buy water proof seat covers. But what I am most concerned with is the dash/middle console. Does any manufacturer make any type of covering for that? It seems to be the most important area where you don't want water getting into. I was thinking of making a custom fit tarp cover to velcro over the dash and center console. Any one thought about doing something similar, or have suggestions on a method to cover that area?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I know a lot of people differ on my point of view on this, but I ride naked most of the time...in the rainy season in Florida! Never had issue one. Hell, I even pressure wash my dash and speakers occasionally after a serious mud trp. I know that electrons and h2o doen't mix, but I believe Jeep did a great job of keeping her sealed enough not to ruin stuff. Jmo. If u r concerned with the center stack, maybe run with just ur freadom panels or a bimini. Nothing to really hurt outboard of that.
Troy
People will argue this, and tell me I am full of chit. She is 3 years old now and sees a ton (well, maybe not a metric ton) of water!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your valued opinion. I am unaware how well Jeep may be "covering" or rather insulating components. I know that under each of my seats are electrical components/wiring and they look as though care was taken to water proof those items. I can only hope they treated everything behind the dash with equal care. From what you say, it sounds like they probably have.

If anyone has made their own waterproof cover like what I have described, I'd like to hear about it. It should be relatively simple to measure, cut, and add velcro contact points using a rugged water proof tarp material. I'm going to take on that project on my next days off and I'll post some pics on how it came out and what it looks like.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've heard that the clockspring is a weak spot. It's let's the electronics in the wheel work when turning. I have heard that it will make the horn go off randomly. I've never got it wet personally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you submerge your jeep your in trouble. I have seen threads about heavy rain playing havoc with the radio and steering wheel controls. Seen this on a thread here recently Dashboard Condom | Approved for Jeep JK good luck and stay dry :)
I am the one with the Dashboard Condom and came up with the idea to be something small you can keep in your glove box and take out to cover the head-unit in case of an unexpected rainstorm, overnight dew, dust or sand.

I recently saw another post where a guy made a vinyl cover that snaps over the head unit and center area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts