Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have any information on the process to cross into the US from canada say for Easter Jeep Safari or any other event and back again, hauling an enclosed trailer with a second vehicle and pile of tools in it, ive hear they can completely dismantle everything tare off door panels and gut the interior of a vehicle and just leave it like that.. whos responsible if a door panel from 1995 splits in half which is almost a guarantee when removing it or all the plastic clips shear off

secondly how do i prove the tools i bring with me and the vehicle and spare parts for it all came with me when i left canada upon reentry and not charged a duty on everything on me.. i own some harbour freight tools and no receipts for them itd be pretty easy for them to point out the brand name is only sold in the US, on the other side of that coin what stops someone from heading down with no tools, filling up at harbour freight or anywhere for that matter, maybe covering them in dirt and mud while at their event to look used and claiming to have brought them from canada

interested in how the policys are evolving around electronic devices and being required to give your passwords and have all devices charged and working for them to check through although thats a whole can of worms thatll highjack the discussion

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The US border is closed to non essential travel. No recreational trips allowed. Put a brake on my plans this year.

If you have expensive stuff with no receipts, you can stop at the Canadian customs before you cross over and ask them to document the gear for you. Generally they won't question on things like tools, especially if they're not new.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
anybody have any information on the process to cross into the US from canada say for Easter Jeep Safari or any other event and back again, hauling an enclosed trailer with a second vehicle and pile of tools in it, ive hear they can completely dismantle everything tare off door panels and gut the interior of a vehicle and just leave it like that.. whos responsible if a door panel from 1995 splits in half which is almost a guarantee when removing it or all the plastic clips shear off

secondly how do i prove the tools i bring with me and the vehicle and spare parts for it all came with me when i left canada upon reentry and not charged a duty on everything on me.. i own some harbour freight tools and no receipts for them itd be pretty easy for them to point out the brand name is only sold in the US, on the other side of that coin what stops someone from heading down with no tools, filling up at harbour freight or anywhere for that matter, maybe covering them in dirt and mud while at their event to look used and claiming to have brought them from canada

interested in how the policys are evolving around electronic devices and being required to give your passwords and have all devices charged and working for them to check through although thats a whole can of worms thatll highjack the discussion
I cross the border maybe a dozen times a year (before covid)....mainly to go pick up parts from my US postal address... no issues on either side. Just be honest with them. They're not dumb and can smell a lie a mile away and they will run you through the ringer in return for that lie... so I suggest not trying it.
If either side rips your vehicle apart, you get to pay the bill... innocent or not. I've only been pulled in once and they just wanted to see the underside of the jeep to make sure there was no grass or mud to cross contaminate, so make sure your vehicle is relatively clean (both ways).
If you have tools that concern you then take date stamped pictures of them before leaving.
The Americans will ask you about any criminal record. Don't lie because they can check. Just be truthful. The worst case scenario if you're honest is they simply turn you around.
Electronic devices laws work both ways, and no one is forcing you to cross the border. I personally have never been stopped for that though, but if they think something is up.... so make sure your phone is 'innocent'

Now I do have dual citizenship so the Americans may be a little easier on me than your average Canadian... I dunno... but just be honest with what they ask and you will be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts